GO!

cost effective high quality kibbles

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Willy Moo

Pimpin ain't- easy

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 6:44am PST 
Hi everyone,
It’s been a long time since I have posted on dogster but I have a question regarding kibbles. We have two dogs. One is about 60 lbs and the other I think is somewhere around 50 lbs. currently we feed them normally Blue Buff Wilderness formula. I think sometimes we buy a different grain free version of Blue Buff that is relatively newish.
Im looking for a way to bring down our costs because we will be having a baby in early May and I will be quitting my job. Right now with both of us working full time we kind of spend our money freely on our army of pets (I also have 3 guinea pigs). I would like to keep them on a high quality kibble as I truly believe in the long run it is more cost effective with less vet visits due to crappy food. It doesn’t have to be grain free though I think I may need to monitor this as our hound mix sometimes has gross poops and I think the grain free helps with that, but otherwise they do not have allergies.
Blue Buff Wilderness I think is around $55-$60 for the big bag. Is there a good quality kibble that is cheaper?

thanks
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 6:55am PST 
Taste of the Wild is a grain free dog food that is considerably cheaper. Many do well with it. You can try that way to go
[notify]
Willy Moo

Pimpin ain't- easy

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 7:31am PST 
i have heard good things about that food. i will have to check out the price at our petco.

thanks for the suggestion wave
[notify]

Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 9:37am PST 
Do you have a Costco in your area? They have a grain-free food called Nature’s Domain that costs a little over $20 for a 20 pound bag. They also have grain-inclusive formulas that are decent quality and very reasonably priced.

Kirkland’s/Nature’s Domain is made by Diamond (not sure how you feel about them,) but so is TOTW/Natural Balance/Canidae.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 9:03pm PST 
if you're looking to stick with grain free, check into earthborn holistic, hi tek naturals or nutri source, most of them are under $45 for a large bag
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 8:44am PST 
The Nutro Max is about $ for a 30 pound bag. I know it is an all natural food with no by-products and meat is the fist ingredient.
[notify]
Lily and- Moira

Happy Birthday- to us!!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 9:22pm PST 
TOTW here. Less than $45 and the dogs don't need much of it. It seems to digest well and hold their weights on smaller amounts of food. Moira does not do well on any Blue Buffalo product no matter which one, grained or grainfree. I rotate the TOTW protein sources, though Moira has to have the fish in the summer. Canidae has done well for them as far as grained foods go. Canidae has grain free, too, but I'm not sure about the price of the meaty ones. I know the Salmon is too expensive.
[notify]