GO!

Stray needs to put on weight

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Indiana

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 9:12am PST 
What about eggs or olive oil added to his foods. The healthy fats in both would probably be really good for his coat (or what's left of it frown )
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 12:40pm PST 
Hookworms... Of course. At least that was an easy treatment. So at least now any extras should do him some good.
[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 12:27am PST 
Eggs, fish, fish oil & I think coconut oil is also meant to be good too.

How much did he weigh? What are you calling him?
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 11:03pm PST 
Go for dog foods that contain high amounts of Omega-6 as these would help give a shine to the coat, add some luster back, and help replace the oils in the skin.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 11:54pm PST 
"Go for dog foods that contain high amounts of Omega-6 as these would help give a shine to the coat, add some luster back, and help replace the oils in the skin."

That should be Omega 3s.

Hope your stray starts putting on some weight!
[notify]
Teeko

I like big mud- and I cannot lie

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 5:29pm PST 
This is Teeko, the skinny stray laugh out loud

I think he may be gaining a bit, will probably run him by the vet in a few days to see how fast.

Kind of wondering what a healthy rate of weight gain is. Initially weighed in at about 45 pounds when he should be around 60. He roughly Ace's height, and she weighs 61.

I ended up splitting Ace and Kale's normal twice a day feedings into three (instead of 1 1/2 cups twice a day, getting one cup 3 times a day) and but feeding Teeko about the same as their old twice daily meals. That way he gets more without creating any jealousy over more treats/food.

It's complicated by his lack of fur, due to the idiot who shaved him, but his spine and ribs still need to be less pronounced, but I don't know how long that should take.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 11:30pm PST 
That's right, Chance, Omega-3. But I did come across a website saying omega-6 also helps.
[notify]
Paco

To pee or not to- pee...

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 10:12pm PST 
Paco was underweight when we rescued him. We fed him Green Beef Tripe and it helped so much. Once he was neutered, he had no problem maintaining his healthy weight. Teeko is so pretty; I am glad he found you.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2