GO!

Food Advice

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kimiko

Star Fight- Princess

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 3:30pm PST 
We get Kimiko on the 22nd and I've been considering a few foods for her. The first is:

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Dry Dog food; can be found at http://www.petco.com/product/119395/Blue-Buffalo-Wilderness-Chicken- Dry-Puppy-Food.aspx

The second is Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free Chicken Recipe Puppy Food http://www.petco.com/product/121160/Blue-Buffalo-Freedom-Grain-Free- Chicken-Recipe-Puppy-Food.aspx

And the third is Simply Right Pet Care Exceed Chicken & Rice Formula Dog Food http://www.samsclub.com/sams/simply-right-pet-care-exceed-chicken-ri ce-formula-dog-food-44-lb/prod4000033.ip?navAction=

I just want to feed her something healthy and good for her.
[notify]
Kimiko

Star Fight- Princess

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 4:16pm PST 
Nevermind, I looked into these products more and decided completely against the Simply Right Exceed, bad BAD stories. So Blue Buffalo it is smile I'll be feeding her the Blue Buffalo Chicken & Brown Rice Puppy Food, excellent product at a good price.
[notify]
Fancy

Fancy& Rambo- Chinese Crested- Littermates

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 4:37pm PST 
I think I'm going to try the Blue Buffalo grain free puppy. They are on Royal Canin right now and I'm thinking of trying grain free. Good luck with your new baby wishes

From Fancy and Rambo

Edited by author Sun Jan 13, '13 4:38pm PST

[notify]

Kimiko

Star Fight- Princess

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 7:33pm PST 
Royal Canin is a good product smile my cat, Wally, can only eat Royal Canin Special 33 so I'm going to keep him on that instead of testing what his stomach can handle. Let us know how Blue Buffalo works for you guys!
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 7:49pm PST 
You might want to check with some other Shiba Inu folks about nutrition, too...I'm not aware of any issues specific to that breed but the folks "in the breed" are usually a great reference, and you can probably find info on line.

When picking your food, obviously the ingredient list is key, but what your pup likes is huge. Also check into the availability of your food too...there's some great products out there that can be hard to find, depending on where you live.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 1:43am PST 
I know you've made your choice about which food you're going to give your dog but I just wanted to say that I love your dog's name! I wanted to name our dog Kimiko then but my husband wouldn't accept the name suggestion. We just named our dog Coco instead. laugh out loud
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 6:29am PST 
Blue Buffalo does have some good dog foods. I definitely think it's better than Royal Canin. Anything with corn in it isn't good for you. Also, the nice thing about Blue Buffalo is that their first ingredient is an actual meat and not a meat "meal". I have a friend who feeds Blue Buffalo and they are very happy with it way to go
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 7:18am PST 
I have Akita's the bigger version of Shiba's and use Blue Buffalo. I personally like how my pups do better on the Wilderness and Freedom grain free lines but they did well on the regular as well. My male Akita does equally well on both but my female seems to have a minor grain issue because when we were feeding the lamb and rice or chicken and rice her eyes were a bit runny,since switching to the grain-free the issue has resolved itself. If your puppy doesn't have any issues then you should be fine. I usually tell people when it comes to food to find one that their puppy likes and does well on,of good quality,that fits their budget. Those are the most important factors,that it is of good quality,that your puppy likes it,does well on it,and you can afford to feed it.wishes and Congratulations on your new family member.
[notify]
Kimiko

Star Fight- Princess

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 8:47am PST 
Thank you guys for all of your suggestions! I did go and post in the Shiba Inu forum, so we'll see what some of the fellow Shibas say. I agree, anything with that starts off with chicken/meat "meal" in it turns me off, but Blue Buffalo starts off every ingredient list with things such as "deboned chicken" or straight up "lamb" and whatnot, which makes me feel better about what I'm giving to my animals.

I had no idea that food could affect the runniness of an animals eyes? That's really good to know! My cat sometimes has runny eyes... hmm.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 8:55pm PST 
GREEK YOGURT
Benefit: Feeling fuller for longer
AVOCADO
Benefit: Reduced risk of heart disease
BELL PEPPERS
Benefit: Improved immune function
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2