GO!

Pedigree Dog Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Charlie

Turd Burglar

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 4:48pm PST 
Milton, you're right. Some formulas do although the one I recently checked didn't. Some also have things like BHA/BHT. I would avoid those ones at all cost (and Pedigree in general tbh).
[notify]
Mya

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 7:52am PST 
All good points. I have noticed over the years that a lot of dogs do well on dog food products such as Pedigree and have had no issues and others have had to change food. A dog is like humans, they become sensitive to certain ingredients and cannot tolerate them. Hopefully owners figure this out and change to a food without the fillers. There are so man pet food products on the market now to choose from that it boogles the mind. A lot of consumers cannot afford the higher priced premium foods and have to but grocery brands, but that does not make them bad parents. Many many years ago we fed our dogs the grocery store brands as they were less expensive and dogs also ate table scraps. That was the way it was. Over the years I have fed nothing but Nutro products and all of the dogs we have had have done well on thier products, but not every dog can eat Nutro either. Having a small breed dog is nice as she does not eat much so we do not have to buy dog food as often as we did for our Greyhounds so a lot less expensive.
[notify]
Cricket

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 4:36pm PST 
My vet had me switch Cricket from Pedigree to Purina One Smartblend after taking her to the vet the other day.
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 5:33pm PST 
That's weird. Both foods are mediocre quality, however Purina has a pretty bad quality control record and has been responsible for some pretty horrific recall incidents. Pedigree has a much better record, recalls have been voluntary and quick. The other food mentioned a lot in this thread (Iams) has probably the worst quality control record in the industry and actually refused to recall until they were forced knowing full well that hundreds of thousands of products were contaminated and potentially fatal.
Just something to think about.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 5:56pm PST 
As Sabi said, Purina products aren't particularly high quality either. If you're interested in switching, the So You Are Confused By Dog Food thread has lots of great information on choosing a good kibble.

Edited by author Fri Jan 18, '13 6:08pm PST

[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 11:30pm PST 
Purina uses menadione which is banned in human consumption. It has been linked to liver damage. If you go and look at the Beneful page there are tons of posts about dogs having liver failure. Purina also owns Waggin Train. This is Chinese Jerky treats for dogs. In 2011 the FDA warned about death and illnesses that were linked to these treats. The FDA can not inspect Chinese manufacturing plants and Purina continued to sell them until very recently.

Ya, Purina is not trust worthy. There is also a lot of ingredients in that Purina one that are typically found in the low quality dog foods like Ol'Roy

http://www.examiner.com/article/purina-s-beneful-dog-food- killing-dogs-nationwide-no-recall-issued-by-fda
[notify]
Chocolate

Benjamin Button- of dogs

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 8:36pm PST 
I used to feed Chocolate pedigree Senior, and for a while I thought he was healthy as could be. He didn't have much of a shape to him(no defined waist), shed a ton year-round(which at the time I attributed to having a thick coat), and had average energy. I thought this was all normal.

It wasn't until I switched him to the higher quality foods(I rotate Wellness Core, TOTW, and Evo) that I saw a huge difference. His coat is much lusher and his shedding reduced pretty drastically, and he has good muscle tone. Not to mention he's still going strong five years after the switch(I've had him 10 years now). Good food does make a huge difference.

Edited by author Sat Jan 19, '13 8:38pm PST

[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 1:58pm PST 
Pedigree also had a recent recall in June involving blue plastic in their canned foods. How did that get there? Guess you never know what will be in unspecified animals ingredients and by-products. Maybe it was from packaged meat that was expired at the grocery store.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 10:47pm PST 
The first time I fed my dogs Pedigree, they hardly ate it. They just smelled it and then walked away. They even chose chewing and biting on twigs and leaves instead of eating the dog food I gave them. I have no idea why but when I gave them different dog food the following day, they cleaned their bowl fast. I don't have anything against Pedigree but I guess my dogs prefer my cooking over it.
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 10:48am PST 
I hope i never get so npoor , i have to feed my dogs something like old roy. Personally, I do not buy anything at walmsrt because nothing you get there that is not brand name , is normally poor quality and made cheap to make people think they are getting a deal.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5