GO!

Questions about LBP food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 8:57am PST 
A friend of mine has adopted a mixed breed puppy. We know for sure there is some mastiff & lab & maybe some pit. She has decided on a good brand of food, but has some questions.
Many foods provide guidelines based on the adult size of the dog, but she won't know how big he is going to get for awhile yet. She does not want to overfeed, but does not want to underfeed either.
So...is there a way to figure out the optimum amount to feed?
Please note..she is an experienced dog owner, so no food suggestions. She also knows about calcium & phosphorous levels. She is just confused about the amount/calories. dog
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 1:25pm PST 
Very interesting question. I can't help, but maybe someone else can.shrug
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 2:11pm PST 
I had no idea how much to feed Moose when I got him so I started at their (dog foods) guidelines for a puppy of his size and age. But I did back off from what they suggested though. If it suggested 4 cups a day, I only gave him 3 1/2 and worked from there.
Moose gained weight at a healthy pace and every week or two I'd increase his daily intake by a half cup.

Today Moose gets 8 (gulp) cups a day and has been at that level for three months or so. I haven't increased it and he's still gaining weight.
His food is 420 cal/cup.
[notify]

Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 2:36pm PST 
I always do the "watch the ribs and the poop" method with any puppy. I find that the first thing to go with too much is the poop...it gets really soft and mushy. Over the longer term, I keep an eye on their ribs. In a puppy, I want to easily see at least the last three or so.
Quincy has gone up and down with the amount he gets pretty constantly! Half of him is from a different line than my usual slow growing ones and he keeps having HUGE growth spurts so I find myself not giving him enough, then he looks tubby so I have to back off.
At six months he is the size that my males were at 12 - 13 months. Ultimately, he should be the same size as they were at maturity, around 2 1/2 - 3 years.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 2:58pm PST 
Quincy..that is what I do also..look at the poop. With Squam, he was always skinny & prone to diarrhea. He never really had that adorable puppy belly. I was on the verge of testing him for EPI before I started him on probiotics. Now he's good-ish.laugh out loud But still lean.
Her big concern is there's a huge difference between a 70 pound lab & a 170 pound mastiffbig laugh
Good advice Moose. Thanks smile
Anyone else?
[notify]