GO!

dog acting like hes starving

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Winston

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 3:41pm PST 
My dog Winston is gluten intolerant and his sister has food allergies that we cant seem to pin point. Right no we have them on Natures Variety Salmon, which they both love. Maddie continues to get yeast infections (I am sarting to think hers are environmental), but they both act like they are starving all the time. To the point that Winston is now eating random stuff off the table like paper, rags, candy, etc etc. What should I do? Is there something I shoud add like green beans or is the praire food okay for Winston, is oatmeal okay for gluten intolerance? I feel like the grain free is just not filling them up. Winston is supposed to be 40ish lbs and is about 55 the vet put him on a 700 calorie diet and I am measuring. Maddie has lost weight as well and also acts like she is starving but the vet says she looks great. Any ideas would be great.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 11:14am PST 
That is about what I offered Sassy back when she was a healthy adult, it really ought to be enough. She would finish it up in about 3 seconds and was always looking for more. Max isn't quite so bad but he would gladly eat a couple more meals a day.

It could be boredom. What about feeding during a training session? Makes the meal last a lot longer. What about using a food puzzle of some sort to feed them?

I [two legger writing here] have developed more and more food sensitivities over the years. It took me a while but I figured out an early warning was getting a very slight stomach ache that seemed more like hunger but no matter how much I ate that ache wouldn't go away for weeks. If there are still yeast issues and they are being horrible food seekers that could be the problem. You might consider the LID Natural Instinct foods or feeding canned food instead as they are generally much simpler formulas.
[notify]