GO!

Confession time. What's the worst snack/food thing you'll still give your dog?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 8:06am PST 
I make a point to usually try and give Ava and Nix healthy-everything. They eat a rotation of top of the line grain free kibble from different brands from Orijen to ToTW to Blue Wilderness and whatever else looks good and fits my high standards for dog food.

For snacks they'll get anything from raw meat and bones, to bully sticks, to trachea, sometimes baked ears and snouts, and also cheese.

But I will admit, while I usually have high standards for treats as well as their everyday food, sometimes I'll let them snack on something that would make other healhty-dog-food-nuts gasp in horror. laugh out loud

Probably the worst thing I'll give them is those Purina "Chewnola" sticks. I also sometimes plain old rawhide, but not as often as I used to because A: it's a mess, and B: they get pretty bored with them.
And since Greenies were on sale at work through the holidays, I got a couple boxes of those, although they're just darn expensive and a waste of money unless it's a good sale. laugh out loud I've also let friends give them Beggin strips and those fake fried chicken treats, but that's not something I'd buy for them myself.

So what's the worst snack you'll give your dog?

Edited by author Mon Jan 7, '13 8:07am PST

[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 8:37am PST 
They usually get pretty healthy treats also but my mom is an extreme coupon collector. So whenever milk bones go on sale we usually have 10 boxes of those and recently the Iams low fat biscuits she has been collecting. red face
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 8:50am PST 
Milk bones here too. I do raw and am very careful to make sure they get all they need as far as the balance of foods go. But they do like those biscuits and get a couple everyday. It is a way of calling them to bed at night that they have learned to expect. I don't think anything else would work.

Come to bed and get a cookie!
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 8:51am PST 
I'm not going to call something "the worst" because I give them a wide variety of goodies from healthy to somewhat unhealthy. I found something called Better Than Ears that they like, for me personally there's too much ick factor in actual ears and snoots. The most unhealthy thing I share with Callie is sweet rolls...maybe Chinese food...maybe ice cream...oh wellshrug
[notify]
Sausage

feed me

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 9:06am PST 
Cheese.
I usually bake/dry strips of chicken meat or pig skin or make liver biscuits, but she loves cheese, so those are all high-value treats she gets for excellent work.

For lesser valued treats, I give bits of Frolic, which is like, corn, carrots and chicken meal I think, sprayed with fat.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 9:19am PST 
Beggin' Strips, but only now and then, when I have a coupon or something. They are kind of expensive.
[notify]
Rain

Future agility- star!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 9:48am PST 
Lizzie really loves Greenies pill pockets, everytime I bring her to work people give them to her and make her do tricks laugh out loud That's the only treat she'll take from people.

My co workers also give Rain milkbones and a few kibbles of Royal Canin Low fat

I think that's the only time they get "lower quality" stuff shrug
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 10:56am PST 
The husband regularly lets her share bacon when he cooks some up... laugh out loud
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 11:07am PST 
I have you all beatred face
Since she used to work with me Sabi was with me every night and we would swing by Timmy's to grab a coffee. I got a coffee, she got one plain Timbit.
I know, very bad but hey she couldn't spend her paycheck and noone works for freelaugh out loud
Once in a while she and I take a midnight wander to the one by my house. She gets hers, I get mine and we sit in the parking lot and chat for a bit. It brings back memories of a happy time in my life for me and makes her feel good. And heck, at this point I'd give her anything to make her happy.
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 11:14am PST 
French Fries. We're both addicted to them.shh
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8