GO!

Should I try Orijen again?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Rain

Future agility- star!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 8:57pm PST 
Rain is 10 months old now. When she was about 4-6 months she was on Orijen puppy and had soft stool and would strain to poop, she was also eating about 2 1/2 cups a day and seemed to not be growing shrug So I switched her to Solid Gold Wolfcub, a cheap food, but not too bad of ingredients, just to see how she would do. She's had firm stool ever since, but I'm wanting to try Orjien LBP again... would it still be to rich for her? Or is there a chance she'd do good on it?
[notify]
Charlie

Turd Burglar

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 10:53pm PST 
No harm in trying. If it doesn't work out, I would go for Orijen's sister product Acana. Try their grain free varieties.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 11:47pm PST 
Be sure you aren't feeding too much of the Champion products, too. It is easy to overfeed. My 42 lb girl was eating 2 cups/day of Wellness Core. When I switched to Champion, I only gave her 1.5 cups/day but she still quickly gained a lot of weight. She is now getting 3/4 cup of Acana or Orijen/day.
[notify]

Rudy TUTU

Easter Baby

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 3:07am PST 
you may want to try a high fiber food also the soft stools could be cause from the higher fat in that food one of my girls cannot handle the high fat foods .

Edited by author Sun Jan 6, '13 3:08am PST

[notify]
Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 6:52pm PST 
Are you giving digestive enzymes and probiotics to your beautiful dog? These definately help with the way the dogs digest foods. Also, adding some canned whole pumpkin to her diet can also help with softer stool, it is a natural fiber and full of vitamins unlike the "high fiber" foods which can have some forms of fiber such as peanut hulls (hills foods) gross.
Several of my clients have added digestive enzymes by Mercola Healthy Pets (Dr Susan Becker) which is what I give also and they have noticed a huge difference in how their dogs handle their foods.
Best wishes.dog
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 7:36am PST 
You could try and switch back, but I thin k if it was me, i would slow down and do the switch over a longer time then normal. Maybe take two weeks or more, just adding a bit more of orijen each day, but start very low, maybe like 90% old to 10% new for a couple of days. Then just go up slightly every other day. This would give the dog even more time to get used to the food again.
[notify]