GO!

Best Training Treats

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Bella

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 2:56pm PST 
I'm looking for some good training treats. We use a mix of her current food, beef jerky (homemade, just plain), and Old Mother Hubbard mini bones.

I want to find a soft treat or a treat easy to break into pieces. I've bought Zukes before, but was looking for other options, as I haven't been able to consistently find them in stores.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 3:43pm PST 
For a long time I just used string cheese. Lots of people cut hot dogs into quarters and then into about the thickness of a dime and microwave or bake them until dried out but Max won't eat hot dogs. I have found left over chicken breast and pork loin roast to be easy to shred into tiny bits and very lean so your fingers don't get too disgusting.
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 4:01pm PST 
Boiled chicken breast, string cheese, meatballs(I make my own with just ground beef).

As for premade treats, Zukes are by far my favorite. They are stinky and my dog loves them. Salmon Paws jerky is also really stinky and my dogs go crazy for it.

If you're ambitious you can make your own treats:

Tuna Dog Training Treats

2 cans Tuna in water (DO NOT DRAIN)
2-3 TBSP Parmesan Cheese
2 TSP Garlic Powder (Optional)
2 Eggs

Liquefy these ingredients in a blender

Add 1 ½ C Flour to all above in a mixing bowl. Should be the consistency of brownie or cake batter Spread into a greased jelly roll pan and bake 15-20 mins at 350 degrees.

Cut into small squares that can be easily handled and pinch off small pea size pieces for treating during training.

Store in freezer until ready to use.
[notify]

Sausage

feed me

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 2:54pm PST 
Oven-dried bits of pig skin is the lord of all treats, according to my dog. Second to that, bits of raw heart, raw pork, oven-dried chicken, etc. I would think raw meat would score high for most dogs, and if not, dried.
[notify]