GO!

taste of the wild for older dogs

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Bailey - BN, RN, CGC

Are you sure I- wwant to sleep

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 8:50am PST 
I recently found a way to afford feeding taste of the wild I currently feed 4health chicken and rice but my worry is the food may be to rich for one of my dogs she is 11 and not extremely active is switching her food a good idea
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 9:06pm PST 
Many senior dogs need more fat and protein, not less as they age. Sassy turned into a hard keeper and lost muscle mass as she aged. Up to you of course but it might be worth trying to very slowly transition to the higher protein and fat food.

This simple study by IAMS is one done that confirms this trend.
http://www.iams.com/pet-health/dog-article/importance-of-ani mal-based-proteins-in-dog-foods

And here is an article on senior dog diets by Mary Straus.
http://dogaware.com/articles/wdjseniordiets.html
[notify]
Rocky

SQUIRREL!!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 8:48am PST 
I started feeding Totw in the fall and it was the best thing ever for my pups. Dreamy is 8 and Rocky will be 9 next month. Not only do both look and feel healthier than they ever have but Rocky is in the best shape he's ever been. He's lean and happy now. They were both on Solid Gold before we switched. I'd say go for it and transition slow. Dreamy had the runs for the first couple days but it worked its way through. Good luck.
[notify]

Rocky

SQUIRREL!!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 8:50am PST 
I started feeding Totw in the fall and it was the best thing ever for my pups. Dreamy is 8 and Rocky will be 9 next month. Not only do both look and feel healthier than they ever have but Rocky is in the best shape he's ever been. He's lean and happy now. They were both on Solid Gold before we switched. I'd say go for it and transition slow. Dreamy had the runs for the first couple days but it worked its way through. Good luck.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 4:59pm PST 
Keep on feeding your dog protein, which is the chicken. But you might want to lessen the rice as rice has a lot more carbs. And since you mentioned that your dog isn't very active, you may want to decrease his carb intake.
[notify]