GO!

Sick of the dog food snobs!!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 7 of 10: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 11:08am PST 
By the way, I'd love to find these magical places where meat is $1/lb and there are Asian groceries on every corner. Must be be nice. laugh out loud

Also, I never said that my dogs deserve less than our human family. Just because my human family comes first does not mean that my dogs deserve less or that they get any less.

Edited by author Tue Jan 8, '13 11:09am PST

[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 12:44pm PST 
I guess I am lucky.
Nobody around me with dogs is a dog-food snob.
But I do run into people who like to preach how to handle my dog.
A gal I know has had dogs for a long time and when she visited Frankie was pretty rambunctious. He is still very young and a happy little guy!! She told me to put peanut butter on the roof of his mouth to 'calm him down'..confused This is the same gal who told me to spritz Frankie's face with a water bottle when he was a baby and would play-nip, and was pretty insistant on it until I tried it, it did not work, and she STILL insisted I do it!! confused I won't even get started on old ladies who think just because they are old think they 'know everything' about dogs and..everything!!

Sometimes all we can do is a polite smile and a brief 'thank you' and walk away.. wink

There is no sure-fire way to have a 100% healthy dog. Like humans, you can do everything you 'should' do and still fall ill. It is the nature of life. Of course some fell better knowing they are doing the best they can, for themselves/their dogs, but sometimes we can do all we can and things still happen..

I will offer up my 2 aunts for example.
One was a 'health nut'..jogged pretty much every day, was METICULOUS about what she ate, would not go near somebody smoking, etc...she ended up getting suddenly ill, and long story short, cancer was all through her and was inoperable..she was dead within 3 months of them finding it..frown Now, my other aunt, was NOT careful what she ate, she ate mostly crap, went to bingo all the time (when they smoked much like in a bar), did not exercise, was a larger-sized woman, had open heart surgery, and lived to be 86.

While doing all someone can may or may not help, or may just make them feel better mentally, sometimes we just never know.

I know it's hard to just smile and bite your tongue, but in the end, as someone once told me, all that matters is if the dog has food, is not hungry, has plenty of fresh water and a safe living place, and is happy and healthy, all is good!! way to go
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 6:12pm PST 
I feed raw, but I couldn't afford it if Treader was a large dog. I wasn't able to feed my GSD raw, so she got a decent meat-based kibble with raw meals once in a while.
[notify]

Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 10:17pm PST 
Lily! I live in such an elusive magical place, cheap meat and Asian groceries on every corner, it's amazing! cheer I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist... red face

I agree, having your own personal standards of feeding is wonderful and great, it only becomes a problem if you(general you) try to force that standard onto everyone else, regardless of the availability of such foods, financial limitations, dietary limitations, etc...
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 10:51pm PST 
Natasha, you certainly have a distinct advantage in regards to cheap meat and Asian groceries! big laugh

People often recommend getting stuff from Asian groceries when feeding raw, which is where that comment came from. Sadly there are no Asian groceries where I live and it's very hard to find cheap meat. Not to mention, my dogs can't even handle a raw diet.

Edited by author Tue Jan 8, '13 11:07pm PST

[notify]
Lexi

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 1:18am PST 
I read a comment about not feeding raw or a bag of Orijen because that'd set an owner back a car payment.

I'll be the first to admit that Orijen is quite expensive. However, there's decent foods out there that are quite affordable. If you take the time to look at the better foods, you can easily find foods in which a 14 or 15 LB will cost you under $40 a bag like Wellness, Holistic Select, Taste of The Wild, Canidae, Innova, and Blue Buffalo are just a few. You can also find some of the better food in 12, 12.5, 13, and 13.5 LB bags for $35 or less a bag as well. Here's a few better quality foods an owner could consider feeding without breaking the bank:

-a 13.2 LB bag of EVO will run you anywhere from $25-$35 a bag
-a 15 LB bag of Innova will run you anywhere from $25-$35 bag
-a 15 LB bag of Solid Gold's Hund-N-Flocken, an all stages formula, will run you anywhere from $30-$40 a bag
-a 12 or 13 LB bag of Wellness will run you anywhere from $30-$40 a bag
-a 14 or 15 LB bag of Taste of The Wild will run you anywhere from $25 to $30 a bag
-a 12.5 LB bag of Newman's Organic will run you anywhere from $20-$30 a bag

It may seem like you'll break the bank feeding a better quality food. However, what many fail to realize is that your pet will consume less because they'll feel more due to the higher quality ingredients that go into those foods. Better quality food cuts out most or all of the by-products, fillers, and chemicals that are found in crap foods like Pedigree, Purina, and the like.

Here's something else owners fail to think about... a 17 LB bag of Pedigree Complete Nutrition dog food will run you anywhere from $12-$15 dollars and, in some cases, between $20 and $25 a bag. For a little more or roughly the same amount, depending on where you're buying it, you can be buying a better quality food.

I never used to care much about pet food, but that's changed over the years due to all the recalls of the crappier food and what not. I like to be more conscious of what I feed my dog and have found a way to afford a better quality food, even when times are really tough, because I feel it's worth it. I'd like to think other owners can do this too.

-Elizabeth
Lexi's Mom
[notify]
Lexi

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 1:48am PST 
I just want to add that I just opened a 15 LB bag of Taste of The Wild's roasted bison and venison formula a few days ago.

Lexi gets fed once a day each evening between 5 and 7 PM. She gets roughly 2 cups of the dry food and a half of the canned food.

There's approximately 40 cups to a 15 LB bag of dog food so I buy dry food every 3 weeks though, once in a great while, I can get away with once a month.

-Elizabeth
Lexi's Mom

Edited by author Mon May 27, '13 1:50am PST

[notify]
Lexi

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 2:02am PST 
That said, I respect an owner's choice to feed something like Pedigree or Purina if that's truly what they want to be feeding their pet.

However, there are better food choices out there and a person can feed those without breaking the bank.

-Elizabeth
Lexi's Mom
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 10:57am PST 
Lexi, this is an old post but a valid topic. Keep in mind that not all of us live in the US. Many of the foods AND suppliers are not available elsewhere. I fed Pedigree for years and supplemented with fresh food. My dogs were healthy and fit. I switched to a different food when I had a senior who's needs changed and a pup with allergies. I basically work a fulltime job for me and a part time job for my dogs but not all people have that "luxury". I currently spend about $60 a month per dog just for kibble. Acana and Orijen are both much more expensive and even if I could feed them, I cannot due to ingredient allergies, they would both increase my feed bill which in turn reduces the amount of time I spend with my dogs. And as for feeding less of the 'better' foods, I feed my 95lb, active male 2 cups per day. I believe you will find that many of the issues people on lower quality kibble see stem from overfeeding and a large part of that is that demographically they tend to be less "dog savy". Experienced, educated owners tend to put more thought into their dogs diets and are generally older and more established in life. Any experienced dog person can tell you that overfeeding causes loose, plentiful bowel movements, and leads to unhealthy weight gain and lack of energy. The feeding guidelines on ALL dogfood are way more food then most pet dogs need, but a young or inexperienced owner probably doesn't know that.
No one has any right to tell someone what they feeding their dogs is wrong. As long as the dogs are loved and cared for it isn't anyone's business.
[notify]
Lexi

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 11:34am PST 
I realize there are people and their dogs who don't live in the United States. I also realize that not everyone has access to many of the same foods that we have here in the United States. However, you'll find many of the better foods we have here in the states elsewhere, as these companies have been establishing themselves outside the United States for some time now. For example, someone living in Australia can buy Wellness and Holistic Select just as easily as they can Pedigree because all Petbarns, PETstocks, and Animal Tuckerboxes sell those foods in addition to the other stuff.

IMHO, pet food is like people food. You have foods that aren't as healthy and that are inferior to other brands. One can't deny that fact. There will ALWAYS be better pet foods. I think all owners should make an effort to better educate themselves when it comes to pet nutrition and make an effort to buy a little more consciously. Like I said, a person can buy a better quality food for a little more or about the same as what they're paying now so there's no harm in throwing out the inferior food and making a switch to something better. Over the years, I've constantly made switches with the better quality foods. Some are more well received than others. It all comes down to trial and error and finding out what your dog likes best and what works best for them on a digestive level. Feeding a better quality food can break the bank if you let it, but it doesn't have to.

Like I said, I respect an owner's right to feed foods like Pedigree and Purina if that's what they choose to feed their dog. But as someone who's really educated about pet nutrition, I see no harm in helping to educate those who aren't. Many welcome the education although there are times it's never well received. And that's okay. At least an attempt was made to try to educate someone.

I want to make it clear. I NEVER force or try to force better quality pet food on anyone. Either they want to try it or they don't. That's their prerogative as a pet owner and I totally respect that. However, if they do try better quality food and leave the other stuff behind then hat's off to them for being more conscious as to what they feed their dog. If they won't try better quality food and stick with the other stuff, then maybe at some point in time that'll change when they're ready to be educated and to be more receptive to the better quality foods that are out there.

-Elizabeth
Lexi's Mom
[notify]
  (Page 7 of 10: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10