GO!

Sick of the dog food snobs!!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 5 of 10: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 9:44pm PST 
What you feed DOES NOT mean you're a bad pet parent. I'm sorry, but that's a whole other level of judgment entirely.

What you can afford, education on foods, what your pet does best on can all vary from person to person, owner to owner. That DOES NOT make you a bad pet parent, and I will stand by that opinion.

The people I JUDGE, are the people I KNOW who are not only ignorant, but REFUSE to learn, who CAN afford more, and who just don't care. The people that ALSO do not exercise their dogs, leave their dogs in the hot car for five hours while getting their hair done(MIL - and then she threatened to sue the firefighters who were about to break her window to get the dogs out!), gives their dogs NO mental or physical stimulation whatsoever or beat/threaten their dogs. THOSE are the owners I judge.

I judge my SIL for getting not only a Pug/Cairn mix when she had FOUR little children who required extensive attention, and doesn't walk her dog, or give her ANY outlets whatsoever. The dog is INTENSE. Then, she goes and gets an Irish Wolfhound puppy while the other one is still an untrained puppy, and says she CANNOT walk him because they're not allowed to until he's fully mature, and doesn't give him any outlets either, or exercise, etc.

I judge my MIL who will leave her dogs in the hot car on a hot day for five hours while she gets her hair dyed, permed, whathaveyou. She's threatened to sue the firefighters who were about to break her window to get the poor dogs out of the car. She also lives in tiny trailer which really isn't enough room for two dogs that DON'T get ANY exercise whatsoever, any mental or physical stimulation and her Aussie/GSD puppy? She's SO full of energy with lack of an outlet, that the poor dog VIBRATES constantly, and has no manners whatsoever. You eat at her house? She'll give the GSD pup trouble for getting in your food, but her Shih-tzu? If that dog STEALS food of your very plate or right from your mouth, she could care less. And they blame their dogs issues on others. If their dogs has ANY health issues pop up, or any behavioral problems? Bam. Gone. And to boot, they beat their dogs.

THOSE are the types of people I judge.

I may be a dog food snob when it comes to my own dogs. But I DO NOT believe that what you feed = being a bad pet parent. I believe being a bad pet parent is a culmination of things you do to neglect your dogs needs on a regular basis. A dog can live on kibble, regardless of what's in it. It's CRUEL to force a dog to live in small quarters with no outlets and then beat the dog for having any energy whatsoever.

I may cringe when I see certain dog foods, but I cringe because I think of the effects they have on Charlie's epilepsy, not because they're in someone else's cart. Not all dogs do well on high protein dog foods.

Edited by author Fri Jan 4, '13 9:45pm PST

[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 11:15am PST 
I think Lily makes a couple of really good points.

1) Don't judge
2) Hold your tongue.

I think so many times people MEAN well, and just the approach is so wrong that you're not getting through to your audience at all. Which is tough, because let's face it,we all feel very passionately about our pets. It's why we're on a site like dogster! I firmly believe that my animals do best on grain free, but at this point truthfully I don't feed canned, though in the future if money does allow I might try raw. Food doesn't tend to be the soapbox I like to get up on. But there ARE things that get my rage machine going. Like breeding their animals, or not speutering them and not caring that they're breeding themselves to death. Or declawing. But even then... don't preach. It's just a nuisance, and are you really going to educate somebody? Odds are you aren't.

I do think it's natural to judge a little, especially on something you feel strongly about. Hell, I judge on things much more minor. XD But as Lily and Natasha mentioned, sometimes people just don't know any better. And in those cases, remember what your momma taught you: If you don't have anything good to say, DON'T SAY IT. That is the big thing. I really do think it's not bad to cringe a little, or wonder in your mind. But be polite. No matter how passionate you are, it's never an excuse, IMO, to be rude or demeaning or condescending.
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 11:17am PST 
Charlie: applause

You voiced it perfectly. Those matter a lot more than what food they feed.
[notify]

Lily

Woof!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 12:03pm PST 
way to goapplauseway to goapplauseway to goapplauseway to goapplause

I've actually witnessed people making rude comments about what dog food is in someone's shopping cart which is why I get annoyed when people say they cringe at people's food choices. It's cool if you want to educate people, just don't be rude about it!

Edited by author Sat Jan 5, '13 12:09pm PST

[notify]
Huckleberry

The opposite of- cross-eyed.

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 2:57pm PST 
YES I am sick of them too. I have been all over the place with what I have tried for my pets over the years and I have learned a lot. I have had some pets that did terrible on the highest quality pet foods, and really great on crap and vice versa. Four out of five of my cats developed bladder crystals and UTIs on Nature's Variety. My dog Huck just happens to do best on Acana and falls apart on other foods. One of my friends had a dog who had explosive tummy trouble if he ate anything other than Beneful. I feed what is best for each individual animal and what I can afford and I will not let anyone make me feel bad about it anymore.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 3:28pm PST 
I am never rude, the only people I have ever talked to about it have been family, and 2 people I work with. and only because they come to me with animal questions.or have asked.
I do try and warn some people about the dangers of chinese chicken. but never strangers in a store.

when I see someone loading expensive low quality food in thier land rovers, and think to myself, your money could be better spent,if that makes me a snob, then I guess it depends on your deffinention of the word snob
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 4:16pm PST 
I don't like when people are overly judgemental either. My bulldog has to eat NB LID diets. I have tried higher protein foods for him and he just doesn't do well. I have a lot of people that say it's not meant to be fed longterm just for allergy elimination trial but I have fed it since 2008 to him.
I have two other dogs that eat different foods..like wellness, TOTW, etc bc they can handle more protein etc and I feel like it's better for them.

The one thing that does irritate me though is someone saying they can't afford to at least feed their dog something decent but yet they blow their money on other useless things. Or someone that has a dog with health problems that continue to feed the crappy foods. I know some dogs will do ok on grocery store but most dogs will show huge improvements on higher quality foods without all the fillers. I have had friends ask me advice on what to do bc of certain issues with their pets and 9 times out of 10 a better or different food would help. So...then I give advice and they still don't listen.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 5:37pm PST 
Dylan, You were not the only one who said they cringed at the dog foods that other people buy so I'm sorry if you felt like I was attacking your comments. But being judgmental about how people choose to spend their money at the grocery store is a form of snobbery/whatever you wanna call it, simply because it's none of your business! I don't think you are rude and I'm glad that you educate those around you if they ask for your help with out being rude about it.

Edited by author Sat Jan 5, '13 5:51pm PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 6:10pm PST 
I think most people were unaware at some point that foods like Beneful and Science Diet aren't the best. My first dog was fed Pedigree his whole life and he lived to be 13 (Golden Retriever). But he also had constant ear infections, stank like dog, had nasty breath, filthy teeth, and a greasy coat. I generally assume when I see someone buying grocery store food that they just don't know any better. I've never accosted a strange about what they're buying their dog, as it's really none of my business. Even if someone is aware their dog would do probably do better on a higher quality food and they could afford such a food, it's still their dog and their choice. As long as they're feeding the dog something that meets its basic nutritional needs, they aren't technically doing anything wrong. I'm always happy to offer advice if someone asks though.

I will admit my pet peeve when it comes to pet food though, whether it be dogs, cats, ferrets, ect. I see so many people saying they wish they could feed a higher quality food but they just can't afford it, which is fine, most of us have financial limits of some kind. But then when that person goes out and intentionally gets another pet when they can't feed the original one(s) the way they want to? That gets my goat. Not talking about rescues that get dumped on the doorstep and things along that line. Talking about the people who go out and buy a pet when the day before they were complaining they can't afford the ones they have. Again, that's certainly their right as long as they're feeding all the animals something, but it really makes no sense to me to get more pets than you can care for up to your own standards.

I also find it slightly irritating when people tell me I spoil my dog because I feed raw. Would it be spoiling a child to feed them the healthiest food you can afford? I don't consider a dog equal to a child, ect. ect., but dogs certainly benefit from good nutrition just as people do. I understand not everyone places the same amount of value on their dog, which is why I understand why not everyone wants to break the bank buying the best possible diet, but it strikes me as silly to judge those who are willing to invest a higher percent of their disposable income on their pet.

Slightly off topic, but as far as cats, many cats, especially males, will eventually suffer stones, crystals, cystitis, ect. even on a high quality dry food. Most cats will do better on a low quality canned food than a high quality dry food, because cats on dry food are constantly in a state of dehydration. Of course a high quality canned food is ideal, but for the most part, any wet is better than dry for cats.

Edited by author Sat Jan 5, '13 7:16pm PST

[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 7:29pm PST 
I guess if cringing when you see what people buy makes you a snob, then I am a minor one. *shrug* But I keep in mind that they may have a very good reason. Actually, I don't really cringe anymore, I just think like "hm, I wouldn't buy that. Oh well."

I used to be much more strong, judgmental, and pushy about this subject. Online, anyway. I've calmed down by quite a bit, I think. smile I don't really care about trying to convince people, anymore. If they want to learn more, they will.

Edited by author Sat Jan 5, '13 7:31pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 5 of 10: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10