GO!

Sick of the dog food snobs!!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 4 of 10: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Zane

Slobber that- only a mother- can love!!

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 7:16am PST 
I'm sort of new here...I had an account back in 2010 but my pup had developed bone cancer and had passed away so I deleted my account.

Anyways, when I was here the food snobs were just horrible. I can't even count the times I got my tail chewed out for not feeding raw, or not feeding a quality kibble, because honestly I just couldn't afford it right away for one, and two...this is the internet, and I'm not going to jump when I'm told without doing my own research first. I did end up feeding raw for a few years, in fact we just recently decided to make the switch from raw back to kibble because it was cheaper when it came to feeding a 200+ pound dog.

I now feed TOTW Sierra Mountain Canine, it has no poultry or poultry products in it as Zane my Saint is highly allergic to Chicken and Turkey(per elimination diet). My personal opinion is that IF you are in the position to feed a better than average dog food, it should be done, just like if you can afford steak over ramen noodles...eat the steak. But all that truly matters is that they eat..whether it is home cooked, raw, Purina, or Wellness Core...as long as your not starving them, beating them etc...then it really should not matter.

If someone asks me what I feed my dogs I tell them, but I don't elaborate on why I feed it to them, or the quality of what they are feeding unless I am specifically asked. The food snobs were honestly the reason why I closed my once paid dogster account. I actually got HATE mail because I couldn't feed my dog anything but Purina at one point. It was stupid, and I hope to wagging tails it has changed.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 7:50am PST 
I must admit that I am a bit judgmental when it comes to dog food, but I almost always just keep it to myself. I work in a pet supply store and it's simply unprofessional to act that way with customers. I give advice as I feel appropriate or as it's asked for. But I totally get what you mean, I'm on several sites/forums where the food snobs are just horrible and it embarrasses me to be associated with them. But when it comes to what I will feed my pets, I'm definitely a snob because I've seen how well they do on a higher quality diet that includes everything from high quality kibble to dehydrated to homemade raw.
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 10:20am PST 
EVO is the only food Gunther has EVER done well on. He gets intestinal blockages easily, has horribly sensitive stomach/intestines, and I do truly worry about feeding him raw. I can see him swallowing the largest pieces possible without chewing, and that does not sit well with him.
[notify]

Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 3:29am PST 
I fed my dogs pedigree for years, thought I was feeding them a good food.
then Dylan started having seizures. researching them is how I found dogster to begin with,and from here, I started learning about foods, and for that I am very greatful.I learned alot.

after checking ingredients,prices, and avilabilty, I switched him to the best food I could. and, he had his last seizures a month later, that was 4 and a half years ago. I have gotten most of my family to switch foods to.

do I think I am a snob? no. I try to inform my friends and family, I would never preach to a stranger in a store,even tho I may cringe when I see whats in thier carts.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 8:22am PST 
To those who said they cringe when they see what people buy, you do realize that's still snobbery, right? laugh out loud
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 8:52am PST 
Lily- Last week I had to buy Tasha some dog food, but the store was out of the type I usually get, so I had to go with a "lesser" quality food, and I did cringe a bit as I put the food in the cart. I'm pretty sure I'm not a dog food snob, though. wink

I think if a person is feeding the best quality food they can afford, or find at the store, then that's great! I honestly don't care if a person feeds their dog the poorest quality brand of dog food if that's all they can afford at the time. But since I don't know if the random stranger I see in the store who is placing that food in their cart can afford better or not, is educated on quality food or not, it's not my place to judge them or think poorly of them for the brand of dog food they choose to feed their dog.

....I hope that made sense, I'm a bit tired! wink
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 9:20am PST 
Natasha, I was talking about those who said they cringed seeing what strangers were buying for dog food. Cringing at what strangers buy for dog food is still snobbery, because as you said, it's not your place to judge because there are too many unknowns in that situation.

Edited by author Fri Jan 4, '13 9:30am PST

[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 10:54am PST 
but when I see the cart full of beer,pop, and other high priced items that if they would put 1 12back they could maybe up the quality of food or those that are spending the high $ on those brands that arent worth that price

yes I am glad that the dog is getting fed,and there have been times I have lived on mac&cheese and hamburger helpers
but if it came down to me having my pepsi, or my critters eating store brand,....

if you are going to spend the price of SD or ect...,spend it on something a little better quality
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 12:03pm PST 
I stand by my comments, there are still too many unknowns to judge, especially in today's economy. And sorry, but my husband and myself come before our dogs. Does that mean we are bad pet parents? Of course not. Our dogs are well taken care of, they are happy, they are well fed, and they are loved.

Edited by author Fri Jan 4, '13 12:25pm PST

[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 4:57pm PST 
Dylan- When I see situations like that, then sure, it's hard not to judge. But, since apparently money isn't the issue, then I just simply assume that they don't know any better about the different brands of dog food. I used to buy nasty brands of dog food too, because I didn't know anything about the quality of foods used in different brands. I was clueless. It wasn't until coming to Dogster and then actually researching the subject did it become clear for me. And even then, the best I could afford was a brand many Dogsters would beat me over the head for feeding my dogs. So, sure, I'll cringe at myself for buying a brand I don't really like but have no other choice at the moment, but it would be hypocritical for *me* to cringe at a total stranger for choices they're making for their dog.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 10: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10