GO!

Sick of the dog food snobs!!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 10: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 9:20pm PST 
It comes from feed stores, dog parks, and family.
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 10:34pm PST 
Saya, yeah I didn't get it either, 'cooked "raw" food'. They say partially cook it, not all the way like we do when we eat meat. Still makes no sense.

Also, yes I read everything that I've mentioned online, but I know people will say the same stuff in real life, so I think it still applies either way. I don't have many people to talk to in real life who actually care about their dog's diet, so I end up having conversations with people online about it.

I have, however, had one person throw a fit in real life when I mentioned I was feeding my dog raw food, and they were trying to tell me that ALL bones break dogs teeth, and the food is poison to the dogs, and then they turn around and feed their dog the "wreck" bones, one of her dogs broke a molar, and she keeps buying kibble that has had so many recalls on it that it's not funny.

Wherever it comes from, I understand the snobs and the people who don't have a clue what they are talking about, or think they know what is best. I think it's all the same no matter where you go, but you still just have to do what you feel is right for your dog.
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 11:32pm PST 
Funny thing is, I AM a bit of a pet food snob....but....I manage a feed store, and we try hard to be as kind and non-judgemental as possible when chatting with people about their pet's food. People respond a lot better to kindness than to implications that they aren't caring for their loved ones as well as they should.

I've caught flak from customers because I feed Jasper kibble instead of canned/raw/whatever. His stomach does NOT tolerate canned food. Any attempt to feed him canned or freeze-dried food results in profuse vomiting and diarrhea. It has landed him in the E-clinic. For some reason, rather than being happy that we've found something that works for Jasper, some people seem to feel that I should go to elaborate lengths to adjust him to a type of food that doesn't agree with him.

I have made an educated decision to feed a high end (ZOMG GRAIN INCLUSIVE AAAAH!) kibble that Jasper thrives on. The judgemental folks on their high horses can....you know... wink
[notify]

Jasper

Whut?

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 11:48pm PST 
From one Jasper to another way to go
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 8:28am PST 
Jasper, I have a friend who was in a similar situation, but the only thing that worked for her dog was feeding certain raw foods. The actually couldn't handle a certain type of meat (I think it was anything from cow?), and had a hard time finding food without that meat in it, so she decided to feed raw because then she would know what she is and isn't feeding her dog. Her dog has been great since. Like I said, it's whatever works for the dog, as long as people aren't feeding a really poor quality food, or continuing to feed their dog stuff that they have a bad reaction to.

I think it's similar to the way people eat and view their diet. Everyone has a different opinion on what we should and shouldn't eat, and I'm pretty sure none of us are eating properly. laugh out loud
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 12:49pm PST 
Hi Jasper! big grin

Comically, Jasper can handle some raw, so I do treat him with the occasional RMB or other raw treat without the adverse stomach effects. Go figure. smile
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 6:35pm PST 
Only place I found to shop for pet food that was not judgmental was online stores! laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Sputnik

It moves? Love- it!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 7:05pm PST 
I understand that your talking about real life dog food snobs, but in my case I can't stand the internet dog food snobs. I have no idea what to feed my new puppy because everyones saying one foods good, then everyones saying its god awful!
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 7:54pm PST 
This topic is kind of a minefield...I don't exactly condemn the food snobs, I just feel sorry for some of them. It's possible some of the better quality foods are going to help you have a happier healthier dog. But you aren't a bad person if you can't or don't want to pay more for dog food than you do for people food. And some dogs and cats don't honestly like the premium stuff and that's okay. I've had samples of the Science Diet etc and the cats refused to touch it...so they eat Meow Mix, and many have lived to ripe old age.
The truth is I had relations that back in the day fed the dogs scraps from the humans and shared spoils from hunting...nothing holistic about their diets but they were healthy, hard working dogs. A variety of nutrients daily and good exercise and unless your dog or cat has a serious health issue, you really don't need to torture yourself over every morsel Pookins eats...
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 8:37pm PST 
Yeah, reading about dog food online can make your head spin.

I don't condemn dog food snobs, I just get really annoyed when someone in a feed store asks people what they feed then yells at everyone in the store that if you didn't feed raw that it was animal abuse. Or they tell you that if the rescue you got your dog from really cared about dogs that they would be feeding a better dog food to the fosters. It's also disheartening when you had a chronically ill dogs who can only eat certain foods and you get told that the food is crap and you are making your sick dog sicker by feeding that crap. Or that we are wasting money on the "fancy dog food" for allergy prone dogs and we are just spoiling our dog with the expensive foods.

Edited by author Tue Jan 1, '13 8:54pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 10: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10