GO!

Liver?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Elvis Pawsly-

The king.

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 6:00pm PST 
is "liver flavor" the same thing as liver? We have two dalmatians and aren't allowed to have organ meats, so I want to make sure before i change their food.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 7:29pm PST 
What food your feeding? I'd think liver flavor should be liver if not then that is odd..

Does it list what the live is from like beef or chicken?
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 8:42am PST 
From fda.gov:

"Under the "flavor" rule, a specific percentage [of the "flavor" ingredient] is not required, but a product must contain an amount sufficient to be able to be detected. There are specific test methods, using animals trained to prefer specific flavors, which can be used to confirm this claim. In the example of "Beef Flavor Dog Food," the word "flavor" must appear on the label in the same size, style and color as the word "beef." The corresponding ingredient may be beef, but more often it is another substance that will give the characterizing flavor, such as beef meal or beef by-products."

Whole article here

If your dog has dietary restrictions, it is imperative that you read and understand each individual ingredient listed on any product you give him - never just look at the front of the bag and guess. Organs are very common in pet foods because they are not as in-demand in human markets, and they have to go somewhere. Even the catch-all "by-products" can be organs.
[notify]

Alanna

Play With Me!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 2:01pm PST 
Liver flavor means that there is some liver in it, yes. If they shouldn’t have organ meats, I would probably stay away from this food.
[notify]