GO!

Can Somebody do the Math? How Much to Feed These Doggies?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 6:05pm PST 
I'm just wondering if maybe I should be feeding them more. It's also possible that Callie is just a piggie. I have never seen a creature eat so fast. I put down his bowl first, then literally run to the other side of the kitchen to put down Sophie's dish. By the time I'm back in the middle of the room...he is done and sniffing in Sophie's direction. At least he's polite enough to wait for her to eat as much as she wants. Even a scrap left in the bowl and NOMNOMNOM
So the question is-for a roughly 50-60lb dog who eats twice a day how much is a meal? They both weigh about the same, moderately high activity level.
I mix one cup of kibble, 2 tablespoons of wet food and half a disk of Stella and Chewy dehydrated food with a bit of cheese and warm water, a bowl for each of them.
Based on recommended amounts is that enough for a meal?
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 7:44pm PST 
I feed my 97 lb Saint 1 cup of Orijen in the AM with a few spoonfuls of peanut butter (she is picky) and plain yogurt. At night she gets 1 cup of kibble and a 13oz can of Weruva. She gets a breathalicious bone (similar to a greenie or dentastix, but much healthier) or a bully stick, a large Zukes bone, to keep her teeth looking good. She refuses RMBs. shrug

My Beagle (37 lbs) gets 1/2 cup of kibble (Evangers Whitefish and sweet tater)a spoonful of yogurt and blueberries (yep blueberries for the anti-oxidents, he is in remission from MCT cancer) He gets the same as Tessie only much smaller for a treat mid-day. At dinner he gets 1 6 oz can of Evangers duck or rabbit and a large spoonful of sweet potatoes or Fruitables pumpkin.

Hope that helps!!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 8:14pm PST 
I just put my hands on the dogs and fed more if they were skinny and less if they were getting pudgy.

Some dogs eat super fast no matter what and even faster if the food is especially tasty. Seems to me you are giving them very tasty meals.
[notify]

Lily

Woof!

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 5:38pm PST 
I also put my hands on the dog and feed more of less depending on if the dog is getting chubby or thin. Some dogs just love to eat and sometimes slowing down a dog that eats too fast helps them feel fuller.
[notify]
Alanna

Play With Me!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 2:22pm PST 
If she is a good weight, then there is no reason to increase her feed. Some dogs just love food. I wouldn’t worry unless she is underweight. Alanna eats very fast like that, too. Both her and Gabriella only get ½ cup per day. Alanna has always been this way. Gabriella eats at more of a normal pace. Some dogs are just pigs. You are lucky, as Alanna will get right in Gabriella’s face and try to steal her food! At 50 lbs your dog should be eating about 3 cups per day, or 1 ½ cup in the AM and 1 ½ cup in the PM. At 60 lbs, they should be getting about 3 ½ cups per day. So, maybe do 3 ¼ cups per day, each. Or just stick with 3 cups, since they are getting a little extra. It sounds like you are feeding them very little for their weight.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 6:31pm PST 
How much you feed really depends on the dog. My 50lb dog gets 1 1/2 cups a day. If I fed 3 cups of food to my 50lb dog he'd get fat and/or he'd get diarrhea.

Edited by author Mon Dec 17, '12 6:33pm PST

[notify]
Pip

The fridge is- opening!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 7:08pm PST 
Just to piggyback on what Lily's paw-rent said - the amount of food fed doesn't just depend on the dog and activity level but also on the food itself. Some foods are more calorie dense than others, and it'll say on the bag how many calories are in a cup. It's something that you have to adjust to as you pay attention to your dog's ribs and waist.

Edited by author Mon Dec 17, '12 7:15pm PST

[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 8:00pm PST 
I wonder too can weight show up in the neck and shoulders instead of the waistline? Both dogs are trim and muscular in the legs and belly. But typical of pibbles their whole weight is in their upper half. Callie is still a growing pup I suspect and is finally shaping up from his shelter weight-could see ribs when we first got him, now fur and muscle. Sophie is at least four. I'm guessing total they both eat two cups of food a meal, then figure in treats and bites here and there of people food...cat food when they sneak it off the counter. I guess I worry too much. Like I said Callie seems like he lives to eat...but that doesn't mean he's not getting enough, goofy dog-thanks for all the wisdom folks!
[notify]
Barney,- friend of- Lennox

Bad to the Bone

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 9:58pm PST 
If you'd like to slow down your pup's eating, try turning a cup or bowl over upside down in the middle of the food bowl and spreading the food around it. You can go buy fancy bowls for speed eaters but this will do the trick just the same. The idea is they can't get there mouth into the food and hoover, they gotta eat around the outside. You don't have to change the amount at all...just spread it around whatever you put in the middle of the bowl.
[notify]
Pip

The fridge is- opening!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 12:41am PST 
Or an ice cube tray..that's always fun smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2