GO!

Pro Plan to...?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Trooper

I'm such a- little trooper!

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 11:48am PST 
I'm going to eventually switch my puppy from pro plan chicken and rice puppy to something else, but I'm not really sure what to switch to, and I'm working within a budget. Does anyone have any suggestions on better foods to switch to?
[notify]
Fynnigan

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 1:10pm PST 
Min Pins (if adult weight ends up being typical) don't eat much at all. You could feed the absolute best foods and for most people it wouldn't even come close to breaking the bank. I feed raw now but when I was feeding higher quality kibbles my Fynnigan ate maybe a 1/4 of a cup a day?

The better quality you feed the less of it your dog will need to eat, just to keep that in mind.

What is your monthly budget?

Edited by author Fri Dec 14, '12 1:11pm PST

[notify]
Trooper

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 1:30pm PST 
the pro-plan isn't that expensive, but my budget allows up to about 35-40 that I can spend.
[notify]

Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 3:31pm PST 
Pro Plan is not worth the money. You can buy better quality food with your budget. Pro Plan has some questionable ingredients and is made by Purina confused Purina is not making good quality pet food and relies on gimmicks IMO. An example of one of their gimmicks would be calling a lower quality product Pro Plan. Ingredients make the dog food, not the name.

Questionable ingredients in Pro Plan: poultry by-product meal, animal fat, whole grain corn, animal digest, and menadione. These are ingredients found in cheap low quality pet foods, not ones you would pay more money for. By products are literal garbage and menadione is banned in Human consumption. It is linked to some serious health problems and some pet foods like Nutri source and Nutro have removed it from their products. Unspecified animal ingredients are very sketchy rendering plant products that are rumored to have euthanized pets in them. This food also has many other plant products that could be allergenic like wheat and soy.

I would recommend Nutri Source, Taste of the Wild, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul and Walmart's Pure Balance over Pro Plan. These are cheaper or around the same price.
[notify]
Isis

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 8:19pm PST 
Have you considered Taste Of The Wild? It is the best food for the money IMO. We have all 4 of ours (Great Dane, Rott-N-Weiner, Dachshund, and a Chihuahua) on the Pacific Stream formula, and they are doing fantastic on it! We pay $40 plus tax for a 30lb bag, but you wouldn't need that much smile. Our chihuahua is the pickiest eater, and she inhales the stuff. Our dane has a VERY touchy stomach, and he has had zero issues with TOTW.

Edited by author Fri Dec 14, '12 8:23pm PST

[notify]
Chico

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 11:50pm PST 
30-40$ a month will allow you to feed him the best food possible.

My dog weighs 16 pounds and I'm currently feeding him Orijen which comes out at about $23 per 5lb bag, which lasts him about a month.

You can feed him ZiwiPeak which is around 35$ and a bag will last you about a month 1/2
[notify]
Jethro

Design jewelry,- not dogs!!!

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 5:02am PST 
Isis, my little ones aren't thrilled with TOTW...the pieces are a little big and hard for them. They eat Earthborn Hollistic Great Praire...big kibbles sizes BUT easily chewed.
HOWEVER...IF I was feeding one dog, a min pin, and had your budget I would most certainly look into one of the premade frozen Raw brands. My favorite is Stella and Chewy's ground raw, and I wean ALL my babies onto it and keep them on it as long as I can possibly afford it.
I am really sold on raw for our dogs and have to admit, this stuff is EASY to use. I keep a Tupperware small container in my refrigerator and keep two patties in it. (I use the smaller ones). I feed one and take another out of the freezer for the next meal, should be exactly the right size for your boy, too. (It comes packaged in a nice, resealable bag and the patties are all separated, not stuck together.) I just break it up a bit with a fork and stand back and watch it disappear.
I admit, it ISN'T cheap, but I can feed one toy poodle for a month on two bags, approximately $22.00 each I think. (I own a kennel so I buy directly from a distributor.)
I LOVE feeding raw, but I admit, the time and, yes, mess of dealing with making my own takes too much out of my time so I started with the Stella and Chewys. With tiny dogs who are needing more nutrition in less food, it works out GREAT!!!
Jethro was a special needs puppy who I ended up having to bottle feed because of illness of his mother. He did just okay for the first four weeks but once he was weaned over to the ground raw he is now growing by leaps and bounds and finally, looks GREAT! I swear, he is bigger and better looking every single morning!!!
[notify]
Isis

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 5:32am PST 
Jethro, I hadn't considered that some small dogs may have problems with the small kibble. Isis grew up with a 170 pound Rottweiler, and she constantly stole food from him lol. She has never had issues, but I can see where others might. BTW Jethro is ADORABLE smile.
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 8:47am PST 
Go to the pet store and read labels. You are looking for a puppy food that has meat and or meat meal as the 1st ingredient, no unnamed fat, no byproducts,no corn, soy or middlings.

A lot of pet stores will take food back if your dog doesn't like it so you can pick something that looks good and then exchange it if Trooper isn't thrilled. You might also look into canned food. It runs around $1.5 to $2 a can. I doubt he could eat a full can, maybe a half can a day? I have heard that canned is better, more meat, more water....and for a small dog it should be affordable.

Cocoa likes taste of the wild, Diamond chicken and rice. (not as good as TOTW, but what we can afford with a pack of 6) TOTW canned and chicken soup for a dog lovers soul canned. He didn't care for another canned, Origin?, so shop around if your first pick isn't appreciated.

Have fun.
[notify]
Trooper

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 9:06am PST 
Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. I am going to check out pure balance and taste of the wild, and maybe canned food. I hadn't thought about that, but I imagine he won't eat too much with how small he is. You all have ben so wonderful since I've joined the site with all of your suggestions and support. Thank you.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2