GO!

Info for you SCRATCHY/ALLERGY pets....

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Baron

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 12:36pm PST 
I work at a veterinary clinic and we see patients on a daily basis with itchy skin! Here is some helpful information...
Allergies work in a 'staircase'. Your pet can have an allergy to more than one thing and not have any symptoms... for instance the "threshold" of clinical disease... Your pet may be allergic to: Household dust, ragweed pollen, pine pollen, oak pollen, bahia grass and fleas..BUT when you add a food allergy to the mix thats when symptoms may arise. (corn, soybean, wheat) are all ingredients in ALOT of dog food that cause allergies... NOW...Change you dogs diet to a grain free diet and your now BACK UNDER the threshold and the symptoms (itching, redness etc) have now gone away.

Common allergens causing allergic reaction in pets:
Foods- soybean, corn, wheat, lamb, rice, egg, milk, chicken.
Parasites and Bacteria- Fleas, bacteria, mites, fungus, molds.
Pollens- Oak tree, pine tree, weeds, flowers.
Insects- Mosquitoes, flies, bees and wasps, gnats, roacjes.

The veterinarian I work is very holistic and suggests ONLY a grain free diet. ABSOLUTELY NO dog treats, biscuits or chews except for soup bones and deer antlers. ONLY fruits and veggies for snacks

Edited by author Mon Dec 17, '12 2:31pm PST

Approved by forums moderator

Barked: Tue Dec 25, '12 9:30pm PST 
Thank you for the information. Although Peggy doesn't have allergies (that I know of), this would really be helpful if someone here would be seeking out such solutions. way to go
[notify]