GO!

Outside dog food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 5:59pm PST 
They have inside cages? So you bring them in only to put them in another cage? No wonder they have no bond with you and would rather be outside. You can train dogs to stop marking.

Where I live I would never leave pet food outside due to bears, racoons, and coyotes. These animals can and will eat small dogs. Racoons may not eat your dogs, but they can harm them.

Why have dogs if you are just going to confine them all the time? Plus the breeds you have are not recommended as "yard dogs". They are small fragile companion animals bred as pets.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 7:50pm PST 
I think Milton has a point. It might be better to think about finding your dogs homes with people who will keep them inside the house, not inside cages.
Maybe a small caged animal or fish tank would suit your life style better.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 7:56pm PST 
"They get a walk about once a day." Once a day is better then what my neighbor's lab/mastiff gets she has gotten a walk three times in her two years of life.. eek

I think the dogs need more walks at least twice a day.

I know small breeds are hard to potty train, but it can be worked with..

Saya loves the outside, but I don't let her live outside all during the day..

Lab sure, but a small breed like your dogs?

I agree leaving food out is not good due to ants, it gets stale faster and attracts animals. Even in city there is coyotes, opossums, raccoons..

Maybe post in behavior forum for help with training the dogs to not pee in the house or mark in it.

When in the house are they loose or always in the crate?

I'd do schedule feeding do it three times if needed..

Those breeds are not outside type dogs..

I mean sure Saya can do fine in outside she has coat for it, but I don't let her temperatures get cold in winter for such small dogs..
[notify]

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 6:33am PST 
As someone who has outside dogs, I find this incredibly ridiculous.

I store their food inside. I go get their bowls, bring it to the food, fill it up, and then set the bowls down for them to eat at set feeding times. Their water will get odds and ends in it. It's inevitable. I have a little fish net used for scooping out leaves. But most times, I just dump the water out and refill it.

I don't find it tedious at all. If this is such a tiresome task, I don't think dogs are right for you.

I just imagine you acting like these dogs are caged tigers or something, not wanting to touch them or come close to them when it comes to basic needs. This thread does blow my mind a bit.

You can say you're not the "best" owner, but that doesn't mean you can't improve. Please take our suggestions and either improve the dogs' lives or find a good home for them. As it is, they do not seem happy, and it seems more like a job than enjoyment for you to care for them. Maybe I'm wrong, but all in all, things really need to change.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 9:09am PST 
Sanka after reading your post and reading the owner's post on this..

"I like the idea of being able to change their food and water from outside.
Like making a small gate from the Side and sorta like a window?"

That does remind me of some tiger or lion set ups..

I know being small dogs are easy to slip out, but there must be a way you can get in maybe work with them to sit and wait?

Saya loves being outside especially in the cold her fluffy body loves it, but I don't let her as there is issues of coyotes and my neighbor's lab/mastiff comes into my yard which I gotta chase back to her home.. The dog has zero road sense and walks in it..

I don't want my dogs getting the idea to walk in the road as they know it's off limits for them.

I'd keep the food in the house the food will spoil faster if left outside even in a container it'd be better inside the house or a garage.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 9:46am PST 
You can get belly bands for the boys.

It seems they have a habit that is sometimes not avert-able with smaller dogs (marking), but their world is getting smaller and smaller. First not in the house a lot, and now even the potential for avoiding going into the pen with them. They'd be way too wired to train anyway with things are they are.

These are companion breeds. You'd do a lot better with the belly bands. They're cheap and contain the problem, and give you some opportunity to work on the marking behavior. If all they get inside are short times, they are more than likely to mark.

I am sure this thread hurts your feelings because these are your dogs and you love them and you are in the situation, but sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees. Looking from the outside in is a perspective you don't have. I don't mean to say anything harsh, but if these dogs were with a responsible breeder and they were aware of the situation, they'd be trying to get the dogs away from you. My Cocker mentor, and those dogs are LOTS more outdoorsy and sporty, plus bigger, has done just that. It's just a life of wanting and agitation.

You need to get belly bands and give everyone a chance to bond, work on their behaviors. They aren't really being given an opportunity to improve, only to get worse.
[notify]
Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 5:24am PST 
Dogs are social animals and should not be kept outside in a kennel. Their behavior is indicative of two animals that are desperate for any type of attention whatsoever. You seriously need to bring these dogs indoors! A dog that has a human family, exercise, and companionship will not have these kinds of problems. Dogs may be able to survive outdoors, but they thrive indoors! As someone who has done a lot of rescue work, the majority of abandoned, unwanted, poorly behaved, aggressive, and neglected dogs are kept outside.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 25, '12 9:32pm PST 
You should totally reconsider leaving your bag of dog food outside where your dogs have easy access to it as they could practically do just about anything they want with it. You might as well get the whole bag inside and go out of the house to feed them once in a while, if that's possible.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2