GO!

Need help deciding on a food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Dunkin

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 10:40am PST 
Did you look at the Nutro Max, Is is a bit cheaper then the Natural choice and Ultra. I know when I lost my job, I went with the Nutro max and it worked fine for my dogs. It is also much better then the pedigree you are feeding now.
[notify]
Deuce

I love food

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 4:57pm PST 
Can you order online? I always get my food online and it always come out cheaper than the local stores. A good grain free that doesn't break the bank is Nutrisource - around $40-45 bucks for 30 pounds depending where you order from. Honestly anything is better than Pedigree so even if you would get a good quality grain inclusive food your dog would probably be better off. You could even try Diamond Naturals or 4health if you have a tractor supply store (they started doing some online shipping too) They have cheaper grain inclusive formulas. You will also feed less. For example based on the two foods above

Pedigree adult is 335 calories per cup. serving size for a dog 75-150 lbs is 4.5 to 8 cups a day!

Nutrisource grain free lamb is 506 kcal per cup for a dog 80-100lbs serving size per day is 2 2/5 - 2 3/4 Cups and 30lbs bags have 111cups
[notify]
Barney,- friend of- Lennox

Bad to the Bone

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 6:43pm PST 
Yes, you should look into online ordering!
[notify]

Zeus

Zeus - King of the Dogs

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 8:16am PST 
Thanks everyone. No, I can't order online.

I have decided to go with Coctco's brand of food, Kirkland. It got 4 stars on dogfoodadvisor and its the same price as pedigree.
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 10:19am PST 
That is made by Diamond and is basically the same thing as Diamond Naturals. It is a decent food for the price as long as foods from Diamond don't bother you.
[notify]
Alanna

Play With Me!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 2:27pm PST 
My dogs eat a prescription diet, but as far as non-script brands go, I like Dogswell. Taste of the Wild is also a good quality food. A lot of people swear by TOTW. But, if I were going to feed a non-script food, it would have to be Dogswell. Before Alanna needed to be put on Hill’s I/D (too much fat in her blood), I had her and Gabriella on Dogswell. They did great on it, other than Alanna’s problem. I fed Dogswell canned with some freeze-dried sprinkled on top. However, the vet did say that Alanna’s problem was not diet-related and was something she was born with. Check out Dogswell. It’s a very good quality food and I can personally recommend it. It might be a good idea to have your dogs checked out by a vet, especially if one is not eating and smelling bad. The vet may suggest a prescription diet, which I have found to be the best food ever!
[notify]
Dave

Dr. Dave Bowman

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 5:01am PST 
All dogs, no matter what breed, need a high-protein, high-meat, low-carb, low/no-grain diet. The smell you probably smell is a bacterial yeast infection, which can be caused by food intolerance. Pedigree is a very low-quality food and is not species-appropriate. The main ingredient in Pedigree is corn. Most, if not all, dogs cannot tolerate corn in their diet. I am very happy to hear that you want to change your dogs’ diet! The best diet is, of course, a prey model raw diet. Pedigree is such a low quality food, I would stay away from it at all costs. The reason it is so cheap is that they manufacturers use corn and meat/bone from absolutely any animal they can get their hands on (euthanized, diseased, dying, dead, etc). If you want to keep your dogs on a commercial food, then I recommend trying Taste of the Wild. Royal Canin and Eukanuba are also low quality foods, but still better than Pedigree. You don’t necessarily need to feed a kibble meant for large breeds. Try a bag of Taste of the Wild and see how your dogs like it.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2