GO!

Independents are Best - Sunshine Farms Pet Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Barked: Sat Sep 1, '12 12:10am PST 
I worry about the large commercial pet food companies. I often try to source my own food from local companies and do the same for my pet food. I'd recommend trying to find a good nutritionist in your neighborhood. I'm current dog food, Sunshine Farms Adult Formula is produced locally and sources locally. I realize not consumers can find food production in their backyards but a small size company has many advantages over the large commercial pet food companies. Good luck with your search. I'm sure that you'll make the right choice.
[notify]
Seth

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 4:41pm PST 
Make sure you look over the food. There is a local company close here that makes their own food and it is full of corn and by products. I am not saying that the sunshine food does this. Just saying look them over and compare before you buy
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 3:22am PST 
I just came across this pet food on the Chinese Ebay equivalent (Taobao) - the prices of it are much cheaper than other quality imported dog foods which led me to suspect that Sunshine Farm's Pet Food Company is in fact a Chinese company masquerading itself as a US one. Many Chinese companies will do this by registering a shell or PO box in a foreign country and then market themselves locally as "imported products".

Looking at their website, it seems more likely that this is the case since there are English and Chinese versions only. Additionally, the footer text on the English version states:

Copyright © Sunshine Farms Pet Food Company. Carlifornia, U.S.A. 2012

Notice the lack of an actual US address as well as the spelling of "California"...suspicious.
Finally, for a company that claims to have been in business for almost 20 years (see the "press release" which anyone can publish and submit here http://www.pr.com/press-release/440243), there is very little information, awareness or reviews available.

Finally, if you do a search for the product in Google, you will come across postings in a variety of pet forums by users with only 1 post...such as the one above. Word of mouth is indeed the best form of advertising...but not through disingenuous posts and misrepresentation.

The "Press Releases" and the forum posts mentioning it are all dated around Aug/Sep 2012...coincidence or cheap marketing?

Not sure about the quality of the food, but I would treat with caution.
[notify]