GO!

Back to Basics dog food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 7:44am PST 
so after trying a raw food diet with 2 of my dogs and realizing that it will be too expensive for all 7( no co-ops close by, no good meat sources, pretty much only option was super market meat which is pricy when you need around 50 lbs per month), I'm looking for a food that's as close to raw as I can get while saving some cash. So in my search I found back to basics. Organ meats are the first ingredients, it doesn't use high carb potatoes to bind the food, it's high protein. However I can't find many accounts of people who have fed it. So have any of you fed it before? Did you like it? I've tried quite a few different foods since the TOTW recall, one called Zignature that made my dogs poop ALL THE TIME! Acana, which I like, but some of the formulas are a bit too pricy. Now I'm back to TOTW but I find myself fretting about feeding it after diamonds track record. Anyways, so now a couple concerns, I know most say it's a myth, but I still find myself trying to stick with foods under 30 percent protein because I worry about stressing the kidneys with a ton protein. Also the calcium is 1.5% and phosphorus is 1.0% min, so can I start feeding this food to my 4 month old puppy too if I do go for it? Thanks!
[notify]
Indy

Can I get a- belly rub?

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 8:15am PST 
I bought a bag to try, but haven't opened it yet since still finishing up old food.
Keep in mind that its 38% protein as well.

You should check out nutri-source grain free, it's not expensive (around $45 for 30 lbs) and comes in several protein varieties. Right now I'm using the grain free lamb formula which is 28% protein and Indy loves it. Granted, it's not as ideal as some of the higher rated foods like orijen/acana, but for the money, I think it's decent enough.

Lamb meal, peas, salmon meal (a source of fish oil), pea starch, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), pea flour, natural flavors, tomato pomace, sunflower oil, dried egg product, potassium chloride, brewers yeast, salt, minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate, selenium yeast), yeast culture (saccharomyces cerevisiae, enterococcus faecium, lactobacillus acidophilus, aspergillus niger, bacillus subtillis), choline chloride, taurine, vitamins (vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), glucosamine hydrochloride, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), chondroitin sulfate, yucca schidigera extract, calcium iodate, rosemary extract.
[notify]
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 9:48am PST 
Thanks Indy, I've checked that food out, but don't like that peas are the second ingredient, I like to see meats for at least the first two. High pea content in food tends to make my dogs poop a lot, and I know it's the peas because their poo has a greenish pea color whenever they eat a food where peas are too high up on the list.
[notify]