GO!

Different looking TOTW

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 11:07am PST 
So because of the recal, I quit feeding TOTW for a couple months. But I am currently switching my pups back to it. They do really well on it and it is very budget friendly. However if another recall happens and they don't get there stuff straight after this one I'm done for good. Now let's not turn this post into flaming me because of the food I chose to feed. The point of this post is,since switching back to TOTW the kibbles look different then before. Different texture, different size, they seem flatter. Coudl this be them processing differently after the recall? Or just a different looking batch?
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 2:21pm PST 
I feed two of my dogs Taste of the Wild and sometimes the kibble is not shaped exactly like the last bag, and it does depend on the formula as to what color it is sometimes. I am perfectly fine with that, and have yet to see a problem arising because of it. A bit of variance is never a bad thing unless it causes some sort of issue.
[notify]
Radley

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 2:31pm PST 
It hasn't caused sn issue but I'm still a little leery because of the recall. shock I love the food and so does my pocketbook and my dogs but if they were to get sick from it would be gone in a second. smile
[notify]

Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 3:14pm PST 
The way I see it, recalls happen and they happen in human food, too. People are quick to slam a certain brand whenever a recall is announced - but I think unless the error is repetitive or egregious, it really doesn't warrant that kind of boycotting. No-one I know has stopped eating spinach, beef, or cantaloupe because of recalls of these foods.

To my recollection, this TOTW recall happened once, was voluntary, and the reports I read indicated that no animal was found to be sick from eating the potentially contaminated TOTW nor was any recalled bag found to be positive for salmonella. The company did the right thing and recalled the food from shelves a precaution. As far as I'm aware, my dog ate TOTW straight through the recall and never had a problem.

I realize Diamond manufacturing plants have had some issues, but TOTW is just one brand and this is the first issue I've seen with this food. Sorry, but, it's not like shrapnel was found in my dog's food. I guarantee she encounters more bacteria outside, at the dog park, and eating raw than she does eating TOTW and none of these things ever caused issue in my otherwise healthy dog.

Edited by author Wed Aug 29, '12 3:18pm PST

[notify]
Radley

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 3:53pm PST 
Thanks, but my question wasn't about whether to buy it or not, obviously I have started purchasing it again. Rather my question was about how the food looks different now. Any input on that?
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 3:57pm PST 
I don't think they really made any major changes to it, guess their website would have info on that if they did. Most dog food batches that don't have a ton of artificial stuff added will be different, especially with the color. I know the size can be different between all the flavors in the same brand. I also heard the oil that is used could change the color and texture.thinking
[notify]
Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 4:14pm PST 
Obviously not. My dog eats it and has since she was a puppy and if it looks different, she don't care.
[notify]
Radley

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 5:01pm PST 
Thanks Twister, I had been feeding it for a couple years before the recalls and it always looked the same so obviously when the first batch I get after the recall is different I'm going to question it. smile
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 6:48pm PST 
Yeah, I would too. And it is possible that they made some changes after doing the recall and taking a look at everything going on.
[notify]
Radley

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 7:28pm PST 
Yeah hopefully they don't have any more issues cause I really like TOTW.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3