GO!

Ash in Dog Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 6:08am PST 
For the past 5 weeks I've been feeding Nature's Variety Instinct limited ingredient turkey kibble. Joe licks his paws and I've been trying to determine if food allergies or a sensitive stomach are at work. I'm seeing a little bit of improvement (although not sure what to attribute it to - could simply be a seasonal thing) but someone on a dogfood chat board mentioned that many Instinct foods have an ash content that is too high. Does anyone know if that's true? Does anyone know what the ash level should be, and what might happen if it's too high? Joey is a cancer survivor and I need to be extra vigilant about what I feed him.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 9:37am PST 
Ash is what is left when the food is burned. It is the mineral content - calcium, phosphorus, potassium, manganese, magnesium, zinc, iron and the rest. NV tends to have far more calcium and phosphorus than a dog needs so its ash content is high. Most super kibbles do as the source of the meat is high in bone. I don't know if high minerals are a problem with cancer or not.
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 6:22pm PST 
Thanks.

I don't really understand, though - how do you end up with ash in kibble? What gets burned?
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 10:03pm PST 
You know all the numbers on the nutrient analysis? Samples must be sent to a company that analyzes foods to get those numbers. One of the tests is to burn a sample and measure what is left - ash. That's all.

If you add up all the minerals in the food - phosphorus, calcium and all the rest it will come pretty close to the ash content.
[notify]