GO!

More News about Chinese produced Jerky treats - Chinese refuse inspections

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Barney,- friend of- Lennox

Bad to the Bone

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '12 10:03am PST 
http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/22/13399443-china-stiff-arms -fda-on-jerky-pet-treat-testing-reports-show?lite

if that link doesn't display well, the sources of this is NBCNEWS.com, the "Vitals department, and the headline reads:

China stiff-arms FDA on jerky pet treat testing, reports show

The Chinese have refused to cooperate with the FDA investigation regarding American pets sickened after consuming jerky treats made in China. To me they are totally stonewalling the investigation...just my personal opinion.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '12 10:24am PST 
I rather think they have a right to. I wouldn't like other countries demanding the US to let them inspect facilities here, either. It's our job to screen, test & monitor what is imported, just like when the US exports meat to other countries and it has to undergo that country's own screening, testing and standards.

If these dangerous goods are imported and sold in the US, then the fault belongs to the those agencies which oversee import.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '12 10:29am PST 
Totally agree, Lilith. People seem to think American law extends beyond your borders..or that it should, at any rate. This is not reality. Take responsibility for what you buy for your pets. If you have any doubt..don't buy the product. Don't be amazed that a nation like China will not bow to American food laws.
[notify]

Clyde

noblest of the- family; he- stands alone..

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '12 11:36am PST 
Agreed. When the U.S. imports from another country it is our responsibility to test the foods when they get here. If they don't meet our standards, then don't put them on our shelves and stop importing them! Don't blame China because those importing the products didn't do their job. Come on America, stand up and take responsibility. When the Chinese companies start losing money because we are refusing to import their sub-quality products, they'll step up and meet our standards without us forcing them to do anything. Money has a way of influencing people and companies that way.
[notify]

Bad to the Bone

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '12 9:50pm PST 
You are correct that the FDA, as a U.S. agency, has no jurisdiction in China and the Chinese are not obilgated to allow them any visits, inspections, or even have to answer questions. Any opportunity to research the cause of sickened pets eating Chinese produced chicken jerky depended on Chinese cooperation and consent...and the FDA didn't get any.

The Chinese facilities are within their rights, absolutely...and they are stonewalling in my opinion.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 6:35am PST 
I can't imagine knowingly purchasing any food products from China at this point. They poisoned their own infant formula and candy for crying out loud when they produced the dehydrated milk/melamine or whatever they call that poison. What really bothers me is that country of origin labeling is so uneven. We have a right to know what products are being made in which countries in order to research and decide for ourselves. They really like to bury that teeny tiny 'made in China' phrase, on some packaging you practically need a magnifying glass. That says plenty to me.

If a manufacturer doesn't care about poisoning children, why would they care about poisoning pets? No wonder they're stonewalling. I wish the FDA did a better job that's for sure, but decades of budget cuts have taken their toll. The FDA needs to be able to fund enough inspectors here. I still think some responsibility should be on the part of the manufacturer, and it's good this information is out there. Saying 'buyer beware' is all well and good, but when a manufacturer knowingly produces such a harmful product that's sick, and we're not given enough info to avoid all of it. Some people may think it's ok because they're making tons of money...well keep in mind that many products we ingest from China are not properly labelled. Take a look at your meds and vitamins...do they all have country of origin labels? Anything can say 'made in USA' as long as final assembly and/or packaging takes place in the US, without listing the country of origin of all the base ingredients.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 7:33am PST 
I'm not talking about end-customers really, but rather the agencies in place that are in charge of importation. There are all sorts of things like taxes, customs, and other regulatory bodies that are in place to inspect products incoming from overseas. The end-customer might not know the product is from China, but the government sure does. When things are imported, they are subject to quality control and testing. Besides, these treats were distributed through (I think) Nestle, it's also Nestle's job to monitor incoming product for quality control before releasing them to the general public.

Nobody has barred the FDA or whatever other regulatory agency from testing the products that are imported here. I thought that was their job?

Edited by author Thu Aug 23, '12 7:35am PST

[notify]
Clyde

noblest of the- family; he- stands alone..

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 9:20am PST 
If you want to write to the FDA on this issue, Food & Water Watch makes it easy. They are already pressuring the FDA to limit or stop the import of these products. You can use their template and send it from your own account.

If this is something you feel strongly about, you can go to this link: Tell the FDA to stop allowing tainted pet food from China

Woof!,
Clyde
[notify]

Bad to the Bone

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 9:15pm PST 
Thanks Clyde.
[notify]