GO!

How much kibble should I feed?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Bebe

Barked: Tue Aug 21, '12 7:40pm PST 
Hio guys,

I am not sure how much to feed our new puppy. Kodi was always a light eater, and at 80lbs eats about 1.5 cups a day.

Midget was a big over eater and would eat til he threw up, then try to eat it again. The vet said we had to limit him because he was 80lbs at 6 months. Now at almost 3 years maintains at about 3-3.5 cups a day. Any more than that and he starts to get fat.

According to the food calculator, Bebe should be getting over 4 cups a day based on a projected size of 65lbs. Since we only know what her mom was (Golden retreiver) and since she is on point size wise for a golden, I estimated the middle range for a female golden. She is approx 20" from shoulder to tail and approx 15" from shoulder to ground. She was 16lbs at her last set of shots and 11.5 weeks

We feed taste of the wild. She doesnt get a puppy version because (like Midget) the stubborn DOB will only eat what everyone else is eating. SHe eats about 2.5 cups right now but always seems hungry, but she is getting a puppy paunch. She also poops about 6 times a day. I dont want to starve her but I dont want her fat either.

What do you guys think?

Bebe at 11.5 weeks

Bebe at 16lbs
[notify]
Barney,- friend of- Lennox

Bad to the Bone

Barked: Tue Aug 21, '12 9:11pm PST 
That pup is soooooooooooo cute!

But back to your question...she's pooping six times a day? That suggests she's not digesting the food all that well...

Is the stool soft or runny? Any discharge or blood in it?
[notify]
Bebe

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '12 6:06pm PST 
The stool is close to perfect (gross phrase). It is firm, not to soft or too hard. She has no problems passing it. Since we take her out so often and always tell her to "go potty", I think she squeezes some out for our benefit. Some are small, so it would amount to four average size amounts a day.

She has nearly doubled her inches and has doubled her weight since we got her 6 weeks ago.
[notify]