GO!

For those who use antlers for chews...

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 9:06pm PST 
The trick to antlers (and a lot of rec. bones) is to get a one sized and or shaped that forces your dog to scrap it down the side of their teeth, and not crunch down directly. Antlers "shed" easily, so dogs find enjoyment from scraping them down, whereas naked bones don't offer much and dogs may try to crunch/break them.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 5:50am PST 
I've been giving elk antlers (and some large deer antlers) to Lucille for over 3 years, never had a problem and she literally chews them for an hour a day at least broken up in to about 15-20 minute sessions. I wouldn't buy the ones at Petco because they do look old and really dried out. I get them online directly from antler suppliers. She likes the really big elk ones with a couple points sawed off. They easily last for a few months, I toss them when they're down to a nub. She loves them more than any other chew.

I agree with Charlie, my dog scrapes the antlers with her teeth along the side of her mouth. Never does she chomp down on them with a full force bite, so I don't worry. That's the key, you've got to get the right size and type for your dog's mouth and style of chewing.

Some dogs just aren't interested in them, though, they're just not their thing.
[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 6:26am PST 
If you know any hunters you can also pick them up for free and cut them to length with a hack saw.. I used to get them from a deer processing place for free a they are illegal to sell in VA
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 6:14pm PST 
Just my personal experience with antlers is that for heavy duty munching they're pretty durable, not indestructable but certainly chew resistant. The only problem is that Sophie lost interest after a few weeks. I tried boiling them in broth as was suggested but guess Soph wants a meatier taste
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Tue Aug 21, '12 9:07pm PST 
When we lived in Nevada, the deer hunting folks offered antlers sometimes and boy oh boy can you imagine how fresh those were? Cindy never took her friends up on the offer though...drat... and she said the Petco ones just look really blah...like old. We've gotten great advice here, thank you. Cindy said she's gonna go looking for elk antlers at least grade B!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2