GO!

Bulldog puppy, large breed formula?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 4:16am PST 
I'm a little confused by weather or not to use large breed formula for our bulldog puppy. Sparkles is 7 months old today and she's about 35lbs. I took the chance and got her innova large breed formula. I figure she'll be over 50lbs full grown. What are you guys opinions?
[notify]
Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 4:28am PST 
Lots of talk about whether Large Breed/Small Breed food is actually beneficial or just a marketing ploy.... It's apparently made because of this fear that large breed dogs might "grow too fast", although I've never seen an instance of this happening in most regular large breed dogs (50 lbs )... the only exception I might take is with something like a Great Dane that might be considered a "GIANT" breed that matures very slowly....

That said, I wouldn't buy large breed puppy formula for a bulldog for it's size, but I might consider it because of the bulldog's unique structure. Bulldogs are pretty stout and sturdy and I can see where there might be a concern for the dog's proper growth.

However, I do think most pups do just fine on a regular puppy food diet until 1 yr. Some even stop feeding puppy food before then. At 7 months, I was feeding Olive TOTW (then listed as "All Life Stages") and not bothering with puppy-specific food after 5 months.

Edited by author Wed Aug 15, '12 4:30am PST

[notify]
Seth

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 4:03pm PST 
I have seen a dog that grew to fast and the joints could not keep up. The poor puppy had bowed legs and looked like you could roll a bowling ball under them he was so bowed. The poor dog had problems later in live and limped when he walked. I do not think a bull dog would need a large breed formula because of the shorter legs. Maybe give the companyn a call and see what they say.
[notify]

Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 10:25pm PST 
Dreamy, my Cindy always encourages bulldog folks to consider the large breed puppy...bulldogs are very sturdy fellows, and while they may not be exceptionally tall at the shoulder, look at how they're built...and it isn't uncommon for them to be 50lbs or larger. Cindy says there's a reason lotsa football teams are called "The Bulldogs..." BOL

And that weight as an adult(50 lbs) is often used as the "line of distinction" for whether the dog would be considered large breed.

dogdog
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 4:14am PST 
I think we're going to stick with the large breed formula. I honestly think she's going to get well over 50lbs. She's gained about 7lbs in the 3 weeks she's been with us. She also has some rottie in her (6 generations ago). Thanks everyone smile
[notify]
Zoie

45 Mile Per Hour- Couch Potato

Barked: Tue Aug 21, '12 4:44pm PST 
One of the big advantages to Large Breed Formula for dogs over 50#'s is that the calcium and phosphorus levels are higher in the large breed forumlas as they are needed for proper bone growth and remodeling as well as for proper muscle function. They have to have the recommended ratio between calcium and phosphorus. Bone growth can be decreased and problems such as OCD and hip dysplasia can result.
[notify]