GO!

What doggy food do you recommend?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Dolly

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 8:34pm PST 
Hiya everyone cheer

I'm Dolly a small 10 week old Shih Poo puppy! My momma is so in love with me and only wants the very best for my little growing body.

I am real little so please keep in mind I need a food with small bites. Something to keep my pretty hair growing and shiny is a must!

What food do you think might be best for me?

Please try and include lots of details as to why you're recommending certain brands, my Mom is a worrywart and wants to make sure she picks the very best for me.

Love, Dolly
[notify]
Rain

Future agility- star!

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 8:40pm PST 
I'd recommend Orijen or Acana. Both made by Champion. The reason I picked the company was because I didn't like all the recalls that were going on (mostly with Diamond) and they have amazing foods. I know a few people who feed Acana and their dogs do GREAT on it. I feed Orijen to my 4 year old Chihuahua and my 5 month old Lab/Golden and they are both doing amazing on it! They are both a little pricey (not /that/ pricey for a small dog IMO) but definitely worth a try!
[notify]
Dolly

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 8:46pm PST 
Thanks fellow pal. dog

My big brother (owned by my Mommy's sister) eats Acana. Mommy never heard of the brand before and does not remember seeing it in the puppy store so she was not sure about it. Now it has been recommended twice, looks like we might of found a winner!

Love, Dolly
[notify]

Maggie

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '12 10:27am PST 
Acana is a great food. There are a lot of great foods, but if you are not concerned with price then I would say to check out the companies and go with a food that works and is made by a very good company. Champion (Orijen and Acana) is a good company. A lot of people like Fromm as a company too; they are a family owned company and they have never had a recall. Some people like Horizon too (they are another Canadian company that makes premium foods). Canine Caviar seems to be getting pretty popular too. You just have to pick one and start with it to see how it works out. If it works out well, then you have a winner. If not, then try another food/company. Some people like to rotate foods too. They may choose different formulas from the same company or pick formulas from different companies for variety. We are currently feeding Fromm kibble and supplementing some Nature's Variety frozen raw medallions. The dogs LOVE the frozen raw medallions but with 4 dogs (one of them a 90 lb lab) I can't afford to feed a completely raw diet. I like that the raw has nutrients that the kibble doesn't have or has been cooked out of the kibble too. It's a personal choice though. Congrats on the new puppy... SHE'S VERY CUTE!!!

Edited by author Thu Aug 2, '12 10:28am PST

[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '12 11:11am PST 
I second Fromm. It's very good, and it comes in Grain Free now as well.We're taking a side trail onto Sojos this month just to try it out. We're not sensitive, so we get to feed test lots of food cloud 9

Edited by author Thu Aug 2, '12 11:12am PST

[notify]
Indy

Can I get a- belly rub?

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '12 1:33pm PST 
Both Fromm and Nature's variety(instinct) kibble is very small.
[notify]
Dolly

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '12 4:34pm PST 
Heya pals ! wave

Thanks for all of the great input.

My Mommy brought my to Petco today and WOWZER, so many different brands!

My Mom chose to put me on Science Diet, the nice lady in the store was helpful and recommended the brand. We chose it because it covers all life stages and the vet recommends it too!

Thanks so much fur pals.

Love, Dolly
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 7:35am PST 
Most vets are sponsored by Science Diet, Iams/Eukanuba and thats why they endorse it. I wouldnt put her on SD at all because it has corn and other yucky ingredients. If you want the best for your new pup, I second the Acana or Fromm, these are 2 good brands of food.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 7:57am PST 
There are so, so many better, healthier choices out there that are affordable. The price you're paying for SD, for what you get, is outrageous. Check out the ingredients and then go online and check out the ingredients of other brands people have mentioned here.

Good, healthy, corn free dog food is affordable. I suggest you go online and do some more research and then return that bag of SD for a refund.

Edited by moderator Tue Aug 7, '12 10:37am PST

Edited by forums moderator
Ginger

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 9:59am PST 
Petco carries Nature's Variety, Blue Buffalo, Innova, and Wellness. These are all good quality foods.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4