GO!

My German Shepherd will not gain weight vet says she has no health issues?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3  
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 4:28pm PST 
She looks perfectly fine.
[notify]
Kaiser

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 5:22pm PST 
Your GSD's weight is fine judging by the photos. Seeing a little bit of rib is not a bad thing. I'd prefer it over the opposite end of the spectrum. If she's just not gaining weight then I would not worry about it. If she's losing weight that's another problem.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sat Aug 25, '12 1:15pm PST 
What food is she eating?
[notify]

y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Sat Aug 25, '12 9:58pm PST 
don't believe in your bible and not sure how far your 'collage' is from your so why does it matter?

Edited by author Sat Aug 25, '12 9:58pm PST

[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 7:33pm PST 
Boost? For a dog!?

He had to be kidding. It's either full of sugar, or artificially sweetened, which might kill or sicken the dog.

I know a few dogs that I consider high anxiety. They are constantly moving. They are also free fed because they will never stop long enough to really eat. Not all are skinny, in fact my Niece is fat. In my house meals are a ritual. They dogs sit, wait and then food is placed on their mat. Despite my Brother in laws concern, Cricket ate all her food at meal times and was very relaxed.

Since your life is chaotic and hers has always been so, she may just need time, security and a relaxed meal ritual.

My Pepper was skinny for the first 3 years, switching her to Innova, large breed dry to mix with her wet food h as helped put a couple pounds on her.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 9:02pm PST 
This is Dogster not Sunday school. I don't like people tossing about phrases from a book I choose not to read as is my right. And I sure as ---- would run far from a vet who recommended Boost for a dog.
But seriously dogs, like children need safety, stability and structure. People who cannot or will not provide these things should reconsider having pets or children.
If these stories of yours are in fact true or something close to true you need to genuinely re-assess your life. Perhaps with all your personal issues you need to stop taking in your friends/neighbors/family dogs and focus on clearing your plate.
This dog is no where near underweight enough for a spay surgery to pose any unusual threat. Stop adding to the problem and get her spayed.
As far as personal problems go I work 2 jobs, run a business, help run a privately funded rescue, take care of my own dogs 2 of whom have health problems and whatever others I am fostering and am dealing with my own health issues and a nasty, violent ex husband. So sweetheart I will judge who ever I please. If you continue to seek help with issues you yourself create, then be enough of an adult to take the heat that comes with the answers. We all take the time to answer out of concern for your dogs. You should really show some respect for that.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Aug 27, '12 9:43am PST 
All other issues aside, Hailey really doesn't look too thin. She looks like she doesn't have very good muscle tone, but exercise will do more for that than increasing diet. Believe me, I know...I am always trying to help Savvy drop a pound or two...

Why gain weight when she doesn't need it. And I agree with those who think the vets suggestion of "Boost" is downright nutty.
[notify]
Juno

If you can lick- it, it's a- fruit.

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 12:53pm PST 
Your dog doesn't look like she's underweight at all. Juno is on the thin side (people think she's starving) but our vet says her weight is perfect. It's best for a larger dog to be slender anyway. Less weight = Less stress on joints.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 1:21pm PST 
Sabi - applause hail

I have to agree... all these continuous problems - which were apparently all caused by other people whose dogs you took in.... If they're true, you really do need to stop taking in all these dogs, get your current ones fixed(no excuses), and deal with their current issues, or finding them good homes. Although, judging from the issues brought forth many times over and over, finding them good homes is apparently as hard to do as getting dogs fixed, and not having puppies all the time.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3