GO!

Beneful dog food may be killing dogs

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 4 of 8: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 10:51pm PST 
I don't see a reason for that post to be censored. Lame, dogster. It's too easy to have a post blocked. Often when this happens I think it degrades the web forum and takes chunks out of the discussions.

On the facebook page people are complaining a lot about this food causing health problems. Yea sugar, unnamed animal ingredients, and all those chemicals are obviously not good for dogs. If a lot of dogs are falling ill to the same symptoms, I think something is going on with the food. I think Purina is sweeping it under the rug. They would probably do everything they can to avoid a recall.
[notify]
Dinky

Hi there

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 4:54pm PST 
Milton Bad mouthing other brands of dog food is not looked upon not sure why people should be able to tell their experiences on what they had with the kibble.

Dink my 16 year old catahoula was on beneful all her life till 14years old.

She had loss of energy thought it was old age loose poop gas and then switched her to wellness core ocean her poop was firm, no gas, and she actually wanted to go on walks.

I thought her low energy to walk was due to old age, but it was due to her eating low quality food.

If you feel the heavy censorship is wrong there is other places to go talk about dog behavior, breeds and food..

Forum I got to is breed specific, but only time thread gets closed is due to person posting question on same topic already asked or post got edited due to being rude and cursing or harassing a member which doesn't happen often.

Edited by author Fri Sep 7, '12 4:58pm PST

[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 7:33pm PST 
I still don't see any real evidence that Beneful is directly killing dogs.

I believe dogs fed Beneful will most likely have weak immune systems from lack of good nutrients, having to work too hard to get those nutrients out of such a difficult to digest product, carb, sugar and chemical overload. This will make them appear sicker.

I believe dogs with a tendancy toward inflammatory conditions like yeast infections or hot spots, cancers or diabetes will be far more likely to have such conditions occur if fed a sugar and carb-heavy food like Beneful.

But I do not believe there is a singular toxic substance in Beneful that is causing common symptoms leading to the death of dogs.

For one thing, I know too many dogs who eat it. It's an extremely popular food, despite all it's issues. They're still kickin'. Many are kickin' through fat and skin conditions, but they are quite alive.

Because of that, I can't get on board with the idea that Beneful should some how be banned or "taken down." No more than I can get on board with the idea that McDonalds should be banned. It is a choice what we feed or eat. You can take a dog with a fish allergy and feed him Wellness Core's fish formula, and he will absolutely fall apart and it IS the food causing it - but it doesn't mean Wellness should be banned. It means his owner needs to research and find better options.

That being said, I do believe dog food industry standards need to be revisited. I do not believe the current AAFCO tests are enough. A 6 month trial feeding should not be sufficent to label ANY food "complete and balanced" as the only thing you feed for your dog's entire life. Labels like these are misleading, inspire a false sense of security and impair efforts to educate.

I don't believe you should be allowed to use images in advertising that do not represent the product in the bag. For example, I have seen bags of Beneful with hunks of salmon and beef on the bag, when in fact the food contains "poultry by-product meal" and is sprayed with beef fat. No salmon or actual beef meat.

That's the sort of thing that needs to be addressed. Not whether or not sugar should be legally allowed in dog food.

Edited by author Fri Sep 7, '12 7:40pm PST

[notify]

Dinky

Hi there

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 8:44pm PST 
Good post Vance. I agree. hamster dance

Dink did well, but at old age she got slow would lag behind on walks and then eventually not want to go on walks she used to love.

Like I said thought it was old age, but after she was on wellness core ocean fully for two weeks she acted more energetic and was able to get up better.

I do agree people need to learn to better read labels and not fully rely on dog food commercials or what someone says.

Not all dogs do well on blue buffalo, orijen, wellness etc. Each dog is different.

I agree trials need be longer.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 9:38pm PST 
Mcdonalds does not have by-products or un specified animal ingredients. So far I have not heard of the sudden deaths of many regular Mc Donalds eaters. There is that rumor un specified animal products may contain euthanized dead cats and dogs. Maybe a certain batch of meat is contaminated. Who knows what goes into those meat by products, probably all kinds of tainted junk.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 6:05am PST 
Dinky- I am the guilty party on both counts,encouraging reading labels and not buying foods that contain things that are not all that good for our dogs.Also not recommending specific brands because although for example my pups do very well on blue buffalo,I have heard of others who do not.

Milton- Sudden death from too much Mc Donalds is called a heart attack. It may not contain "unspecified meat-by-products" but contains enough fat,salt,and other bad things that I can feel my arteries clogging at the thought of a "Big Mac".
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 8:26am PST 
Yeah many people claim mcdonalds is why their kids are fat and so on it's not just mcdonalds it's the parent's fault for buying it all the time and not making sure the kids are out playing.

I haven't eaten mcdonalds in a year mainly due to I rather go to local fast food joints like dogs n suds, or a sushi joint or eat at home.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 9:27pm PST 
Saya- Exactly the point I have been trying to make from the start. Quit blaming specific foods and take some responsibility for your choices.Thank-you.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 8:25am PST 
Whenever at the grocery store or somewhere that sells that food brand and see people with it in their cart. I just whisper to my bf or who ever is with me "i really feel sorry for their dog!" big laugh
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 11:06am PST 
Kashmir- same, especially if they are buying a TON of nice, healthy human food along with it. I just think in my head "I wonder if they know they can do so much better"! Heck, even Pro-Plan is a heck of a lot better than Beneful.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 8: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8