GO!

Beneful dog food may be killing dogs

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 3 of 8: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 12:51pm PST 
I never said Beneful was a good quality product or that I would recommend feeding it. If you go to my first post,I in fact said I do not use it or foods like it.

I then suggested that pet owners have some responsibility in what their dog eats and should read labels and research what to feed,rather than JUST blaming the food. Dog food companies will try to convince you to buy whatever they are selling. It is up to the PET OWNER to make the best choice based on their pets needs.

I then pointed out the fact that there was a recent study done that does in fact say that people do in fact know healthy from unhealthy food choice for themselves. I'm sure they can also with some EDUCATION and RESEARCH figure out what is and isn't healthy for their pet and that is THEIR RESPONSIBILITY.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 3:17pm PST 
I agree with you, M&K.

If a product sells, the manufacturer will keep making it.
Corporations can be pretty darn sneaky with how they advertise though.

Also, for those considering just walking up to a complete stranger and trying to "educate" them about the food they have chosen off the store shelf...choose your words wisely, and don't be surprised if you are told where to go. In my books, unsolicited advice is rarely acceptable, even if one's intentions are good.

Think of how PO'ed most of us would be if we grabbed a bag of Orijen/Acana/TOTW/etc and got a lecture from a complete stranger about how ridiculous it is to spend so much money on a dog...
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 4:07pm PST 
my aunt fed benefull to her terrier dog, couldnt get her to switch,she swore that was all sofie would eat, till she was hospitalized for a week and I was feeding her dog. gee sofie loved the food. sadly, sofie died of tumors less the 6 months later.

her new dog has never even had a snack of purina foods

Dylans seizures stopped 4 years ago, I found dogster and tossed out the pedigree
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 4:42pm PST 
Rexy,
As much as I would love to be able to walk up to random strangers and tell them how I feel about their choice of foods,you are correct people do not take that advice well. I do not do that. As much as I happen to like Blue Buffalo Wilderness and my pups are doing amazingly well on it,I do not specifically recommend it either because some dogs haven't done as well on it.
If people ask me what I am feeding my dogs because they are so soft,shiny,healthy,and beautiful looking I will tell them,if I am asked what I think is a good food for a dog I will simply suggest and grain-free,soy -free food that is easily available,fits into their budget,that their dog likes,and does well on. I also advise that more expensive does not always mean better,for example in my area Blue Buffalo and Wellness are the same quality with almost identical ingredients and analysis but Wellness is $15 per bag more for the 24 pound size. I love my dogs and they are happy on Blue and do very well on it,so I personally don't see the need to spend $15 more for basically the same food. Mika and Kai don't seem to mind. And my budget likes the break. I found out that they were very close because I took the time to READ THE LABEL. Thanks for your support with this issue.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 5:18pm PST 
M&K way to go

I do the same. If someone engages me in conversation about dog food or training, then I'm happy to share my experiences, otherwise, I keep my mouth shut. It does make me a little crazy to over-hear vet clinic staff recommend Rx foods for healthy pets though...

Dogster just seems to have an over-abundance of generally well-meaning, but really outspoken folks who think that confronting someone about food and/or training is okay.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Aug 27, '12 9:53am PST 
I had Bella on Beneful when she was a puppy. She threw up everywhere, and also had tons of issues with itching and skin. We quickly switched her off of it, and onto Blue, and what do you know? She's all better! shrug Though it still has lasting affects on her. She's now addicted to itching, because she was so used to doing it on the Beneful when her skin was really bad, that now she's on a great diet and has great skin, she still itches until she has scabs covering her body. cry
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 6:23am PST 
Although being off Beneful and on a better food helped Bella I would also suggest that you look for other causes for the itching,normally if you have found the source and ALL of the itching stops,the scratching will stop as well.wishes
[notify]

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 7:31am PST 
Oh yes of course we did look into what else it could have been. We took her to many different vets, and no one could find out what it was, though when we decided to change her food, her skin got ten times better, but the itching continued. We think it's because she had been doing it for so long since a puppy that she just got used to doing it all the time, and now has issues breaking the habit.
[notify]
Lilly

Best hugs ever!

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 5:31am PST 
Biggest reason this crap is still selling is because of convenience to the consumer. Call it being lazy but lots of people don't take the time to get "real" dog food. This dog/cat death-brew company promotes itself with rewarding supermarkets with higher margin than real food companies (my opinion).

A good idea is to rally the food chains to change and educate itself and it's consumers.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 5:43am PST 
Guest- You might want to consult a behaviorist or trainer and enlist their help in getting poor Bella to stop the scratching because if she is scratching herself enough,she could be causing secondary infections from bacteria some of which can be very dangerous.hugwishes

Lily- Supermarkets and other chain stores are only worried about what makes them a profit. That is why we as pet guardians and consumers must make it our responsibility. GREED and PROFIT are very powerful motivators so as long as these companies can supply a lower quality product that makes them a HUGE profit and they can convince people to buy it,nothing will change,but if we take responsibility to do the research ourselves and not buy the product,the profit will go away and these companies will be forced to provide a better product to continue to make money. That unfortunately is how things work.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 8: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8