GO!

Beneful dog food may be killing dogs

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 8: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 3:16pm PST 
I personally am leery of feeding my dog a kibble that is more artificially colorful than my morning bowl of Lucky Charms.
[notify]
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 3:59pm PST 
I haven't ever fed Beneful, but my husband's aunt fed her dog that for a while... but her skin was awful on it. I was able to talk her into feeding Blue Buffalo.
For me, Beneful went right out the window with the "wholesome grains!" thing in their commercials lol...
[notify]
Chico

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 4:26pm PST 
I used to feed Beneful before I educated myself. Its full of sugar and artificial coloring. Why the heck does dog food need artificial coloring for?

Thank god I switched 2 years ago I began feeding blue buffalo, then we switched to Horizon and now I'm feeding a rotation of orijen regional red and orijen senior. So we've definitely come a long way. Chico's coat is much softer and shiny now. He has more energy than ever.
[notify]

Kc

Ain't nothing- but a hound dog.

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 4:40pm PST 
Kc was on Beneful for years before I found Dogster and got educated about it.red face
[notify]
Lassie

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '12 1:35pm PST 
I agree. Beneful is a horrible brand of dog food, and to make it worse the company covers the bag with pictures of healthy-looking lean meats, vegetables, and grains as well as advertising how wholesome it is. Ah! Meat by-prodcts, corn, and color dyes seem to make up the kibble.
I was at Petco the other day and saw a young couple with an American Bulldog puppy in the girl's arms, asleep. Of course, the guy was pushing a cart next to her with a HUGE bag of Beneful. I wish I had said something to them. That poor puppy is going to grow up with so many health and maybe even behavioral issues...confused

Edited by author Tue Jul 31, '12 1:38pm PST

[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 8:06pm PST 
Well, now that I really think about it, Beneful is packed in sugar. So, yes, I could see it making preexisting conditions worse. I can't see an epileptic dog doing okay on it, nor can I see a young Pomeranian puppy faring well on it. So, in some ways, I suppose that Beneful probably is the cause of some of the deaths. Though, I suppose a lot of people do jump on the "dog food killed my dog" bandwagon just to have somewhere to direct their grief as was stated by another person. Nevertheless, sugar in dog food is not a good idea.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 7:49am PST 
Rather than blame the dogfood,why not just take the time to do a little research and not buy the brands like Beneful? Where is some owner responsibility in all of this? Yes,Beneful is full of sugar,salts,artificial colors and flavors,as well as packed with grains rather than healthy things,so why not read a few labels and feed your dog something better instead of blaming the food for the problems it may or may not have caused?
It is easy to fall for the advertising and buy the food,it is a little more time consuming to read the label and buy something better but that is the job and responsibility of the pet owner,not the company that just wants to sell dogfood,perhaps by taking the time to find something better and not buying foods like Beneful would begin to give these companies the incentive to make a better product.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 3:14pm PST 
If you read the consumer affairs complaints, most of the people are reporting very similar reactions and they go away after the dog is taken off. A lot of dogs did not have the symptoms until they were put on Beneful. A lot of the dogs died.

So many people don't even know how to choose for themselves, let alone their dogs. My sister was feeding Beneful. I told her it was a bad choice and read the ingredients to her. She would not listen to me alone. I told my mom and she also got onto her about the food. She eventually listened to us and switched to a better food. She noticed a huge difference with her dog's appearance and smell after a few months. She told me her Boston Terrier grew fur in areas that were bare on Beneful. She was converted to better food and won't go back.

I hate Beneful.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 4:28am PST 
The point I was trying to make is that educating pet owners about what is and isn't healthy is far better than bashing the a specific type or brand of food. If people know that the food isn't healthy and refuse to buy it maybe the companies that make the food will actually do something to improve the quality of their product rather than resort to marketing gimmicks.

BTW: There was a recently completed study that disputes the fact that people do not know healthy from unhealthy foods,they simply make the choice to eat the unhealthy ones for reasons of cost,convenience,or what they are accustomed to as far as taste.
[notify]
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 9:58am PST 
Totally agree I am vet tech and I see tons of dogs that are on beneful that have TONS of problems. Even problems that have landed them in the ER for 3-4 days on deaths door. Was it the food or something else? Usually when someone asks if they should feed beneful I say, well if you think your getting good nutrition from a bowl a corn parts and a sliver of some part of a chicken then you decide. I usually try to get people to steer clear of this food and many others alike.
I personally feed my dogs dry food (taste of the wild) but I would prefer to cook for them if I could so I could control their diet.
Compare the unhealthy dog diets to people who eat mcdonalds regularly and then you may see the connection. Remember the movie super size me. Same idea
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 8: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8