GO!

Nutro Natural Choice Grain Free Limited Ingredient Diet Venison Meal & Potato Adult Dry Dog Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 6:21am PST 
I've always stayed away from Nutro. I've just heard it wasn't high quality and had some sketchy ingredients. Now they have the limited ingredient food and my dogs do well on Venison. Switching from Natural Balance due to continuous recalls. I'd like to stay with Venison and am afraid of the stories I've read about California Natural's foods since switching to P&G. So what are your thoughts on Nutro's Limited Ingredient food?
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 7:37am PST 
I, personally, don't have a lot of faith in Nutro either. Being owned by Mars (makers of such "quality" foods as Pedigree, Whiskas, etc) is really the knife in their back for me. I'd honestly be more inclined to trust P&G with Cal Nat, though I don't particularly care for them either.

Have you looked into Canine Caviar's venison food? It looks like a pretty good one for allergies. Addiction also makes a venison line, though I'm not sure how easy that one is to get.

Are you only interested in doing kibble? There are many more canned lines that are limited in ingredient that use venison.
[notify]
Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 7:44am PST 
ah thanks for that-had no idea who made Nutro! My dogs have only ever been on NB since discovering all of their allergies. I just CANNOT seem to find a trust worthy limited ingredient food. I am just wanting to do kibble. I have two dogs and wet food is a pain and more expensive. They do so good on NB I hate to switch, but geeze what's next coming out of that Diamond Plant. The plant in SC is where most of the food I get comes from too!
[notify]

Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 7:46am PST 
PS Canine Caviar's venison food would cost me an arm and a leg! I got through 15lbs every 3 weeks.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 8:28am PST 
Maddie, how much do you typically pay for the NB?

This is just general pricing here, so feel free to do some more shopping around... but if you were to order it online from a place like Petfood.com, you'd be paying around $36 for a 12lb bag, a 27# would be #70, with shipping around $5.

Now, the CC is richer than the NB (26/16 vs something in the universe of 21/12 I think), and the calories are way off the chart higher (599 cal/cup vs. 345 which, BTW, is NOT posted anywhere on their website... I had to look it up on a retailer's site, which is extremely sketchy to me) so odds are you'll be feeding quite a bit less of this food.
[notify]
Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 8:35am PST 
With tax I pay about $38 for a 15lb bag. I think it is about 350ish calories per cup I emailed the company before.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 9:02am PST 
That's not too bad. You're getting more lbs per bag, but way more calories per bag in the CC. Taking that into consideration I still think you'd be getting a reasonably good deal on it (you'd be paying ~$41 with shipping if you can't get it local), so only about $3 more a month.
[notify]
Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 10:20am PST 
Thanks for your help! I'll look into it smile
[notify]
Ikan

Barked: Thu May 17, '12 3:25pm PST 
Nutro is owned by mars, but it is still run as a company on its own. They make their own food in a Nutro plant, not in a mars plant. Their saftey checks are some of the highest in the business. I have been feeding nutro for years for my show dogs and have even toured with a group one of the plants. You should not believe all the security and safety they that food goes through before it leaves the plant. After the tour a couple of years back, I have complete faith in the product.
[notify]

Barked: Fri May 18, '12 8:26am PST 
Mulder,
"those pets that died" were because of the food made at Menu with tainted wheat gluten. Nutro has it's own cannery now...even though other companies continue to use Menu. That recall included many, many companies even Natural Balance and Blue Buffalo for tainted rice protein but for some reason people feel compelled to misrepresent the facts. Just about every time someone has a question about Nutro, someone will bring up the 2007 recalls(which is their right) but phrase it as if Nutro themselves made all of the tainted food in the recalls.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2