GO!

Checkups or Kirkland brand dental chews? Which is better?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Toby

Gimme, Gimme,- Gimme

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 12:17am PST 
Toby is currently eating the Checkups brand of dental chews. How do these compare to the Kirkland brand (Costco) dental chews? I'm hoping either of these are better than Greenies, since we stopped buying Greenies. Thanks!!
[notify]
Chocolate

Benjamin Button- of dogs

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 8:42am PST 
I'd prefer maybe a braided bully stick to those overprocessed, wheat-based dental chews.. totally digestable, all meat, and affective. OR better yet some raw bones
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 10:32am PST 
Those sort of things never cleaned my dogs' teeth. They don't last long enough to help! I liked bully sticks and raw beef ribs a lot.

Beef ribs currently cost about $2 a pound around here and a single rib might be 8-12 ounces and last for several chew sessions. The meat counts for part of a meal too!
[notify]

Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 4:56pm PST 
My boys loved both, I personally preferred the Costco brand. Though they were only a nice treat, I don't think they did diddly squat for their dental health.
[notify]
Monnie

Spreading Smiles- As A Tribute For- Lexi

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 5:38pm PST 
We only get Bully Sticks and deer Antlerz.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 8:47pm PST 
This is like equivalent to a person eating an apple a day to clean teeth. Nothing can replace a dental but I'd like raw meaty bones instead of dental chews.
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Sun Jan 8, '12 11:42am PST 
Check-Ups:
Potato flour, rice flour, glycerine, water, natural flavor, gelatin, canola oil, titanium dioxide, monoglycerides of edible fatty acids, flaxseed oil, citric acid, magnesium stearate, tetrasodium pyrophosphate
Kirkland Dental Chews:
Corn starch, Potato starch, glycerin, rice flour, water, powdered cellulose, sucrose, glucosamine hydrochloride, sunflower oil, lecithin, salmon oil, natural chicken flavor, sea salt, vitamin E supplement, sorbic acid, parsley flakes, minerals, rosemary extract, mixed tocopherols

They both aren't bad for a chew, although as others have mentioned, not a whole lot of teeth-cleaning advantage if you have a dog that's not tiny, Quincy goes through one in about 30 seconds (I've only tried the check-ups, so I can't speak for the others, just my experience with similar products). I would say of the two, I actually prefer Kirkland's if only for the omegas and glucosamine added, although I give my dogs wild salmon oil and glucosamine everyday anyways. Anyways, I don't think they're bad as an occasional treat, but I wouldn't rely on these for dental care.
[notify]
Bella

We're Just- Freezing Up Here- in SD!

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 6:27am PST 
Why on earth did you stop feeding Greenies (they are very healthy)???
[notify]
Boston

The Spoiled Ol'- Girl~Forever- Missed

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 1:10pm PST 
I would not classify Greenies as healthy.

Ingredients:
Salmon Flavor:

Chicken, glycerin, wheat flour, salmon meal, natural flavors, dried corn syrup, corn flour, wheat gluten, vegetable oil, water, lecithin, brewer’s dried yeast, potassium sorbate (to preserve freshness), salt, methylcellulose, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), mixed tocopherols, vitamin E supplement.

Chicken Flavor:

Chicken, glycerin, wheat flour, natural flavors, dried corn syrup, corn flour, wheat gluten, chicken liver meal, vegetable oil, lecithin, brewer’s dried yeast, potassium sorbate (to preserve freshness), methylcellulose, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), mixed tocopherols, vitamin E supplement.
[notify]
Ginger

Feed me.

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 3:23pm PST 
What's wrong with Greenies? What makes them unhealthy?

My dog enjoys Check Ups (one of the few dental treats we can use because of her allergies) but I'm not really sure it does anything but it doesn't really matter because I brush her teeth every day with a sonic toothbrush and the highest recommended toothpaste.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3