GO!

Anybody heard of Actrium

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '11 1:34pm PST 
This looks like really good kibble at a great price. I was checking it out at walmart. Same price as pedigree. Just wondering if any of you have used it. I can't give it to Sabs because of the flax but I wouldn't mind trying it for the other two.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '11 1:51pm PST 
I tried to search for the company on Google, got nothing but other forums talking about it. Do you know who makes it? Someone on another forum posted an ingredient list, is the same food you saw? (copy/pasted from that forum, typos are theirs, not mine)

Protein is 24% Fat 14%Omega 6 2.8% Omega 3 is 1.4% Ingredients -Chicken Meal,Brown Rice,Oatmeal,Potatoes,Rye,Chicekn Fat ( Mixed with Tocopherols for Vit E) Chicken, Chicken Cartiledge (glucomsimne), Tomates,Salmon Meal,Salmon Oil, Dried Eggs, Flaxseed Oil, Kelp, Calcuim, Potassuim Cholride, Diacalcuim Phospate, Chicory Extract, Cranberries,Spinach,Broccoli,Sweet Potatoes,apples,Blueberries,Pears, Bananas, Vitamin A, E, C,Beta Carotene,Folic Acid,Vitamin B12,Probotitics,Yucca,Dried Rosemarry,Cinnamon,Chamomile,Dandelion,Paprika,Garlic

If that's true, it sounds decent. A bit grain-heavy, but you could add in other protein sources like meat and eggs and dairy products.
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '11 10:23pm PST 
The bag I was looking at said it was marketed by walmart nothing else about a manufacturer.
It was called actrium holistic. The ingredients look similar but the one I was looking at had flax in it so if they make one without flax now I'm really interested. It was only about $19 for a 16kg bag which puts it about the same as pedigree and cheaper then purina.
[notify]

Sabi

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '11 11:39pm PST 
I can't give flaxseed to Sabi as she is allergic but if they are making another variety without the flax I would probably try it. Incidently why don't you recommend flax? I am curious because we were told to add flax oil to Sabs food for her dry skin. Unfortunately it gave her a horrible rash and made her hair fall out.
[notify]
Cheyenne

Foster Failure

Barked: Mon Sep 19, '11 8:02am PST 
I have never heard of Actrium before. Flaxseed is actually really good for dogs. I give my girls Holistic Select Holistix Bison, Flaxseed, Apples and Carrots Dog Biscuits. They absolutely love them, too! It's nice to find a healthy treat that they actually enjoy! cheer
[notify]
Charlie

Turd Burglar

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 10:09am PST 
It's a decent brand if you're in Canada and price is an issue. I know a lot of the really good dog food brands (Taste of the Wild, Chicken Soup, Orijen, etc) are extremely expensive in Canada.

I'm assuming you're in Canada so try going to No Frills, Zehrs, Canadian Superstore, Loblaws, or Fortinos (or wherever they sell Presidents Choice food) and look for President Choice's NUTRITION FIRST brand (Not EXTRA MEATY). It's a very decent brand that sells for the same price as Actr1um and I personally prefer the ingredients. They also just released a Salmon-based grain free formula.

These are the ingredients for the Adult Chicken and Rice formula:

Chicken meal, chicken, brown rice, oatmeal, dehulled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols – source of vitamin e), natural chicken flavour, tomatoes, whole dried egg, herring meal, flaxseed, salmon oil (source of dha), brewers yeast, whole sweet potatoes, whole carrots, whole blueberries, whole cranberries, whole apples, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sodium chloride, chicory root, choline chloride, vitamins & chelated minerals (vitamin a, vitamin d3, vitamin e, niacin, vitamin c, inositol, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, beta carotene, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin k, biotin, vitamin b12 supplement, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulphate, iron proteinate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, copper sulphate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), probiotics (lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus casei, enterococcus faecium, bifidobacterium thermophilum), dl-methionine, yucca schidigera, dried rosemary.

These are the ingredients for the grain free Salmon formula:

Salmon, Salmon Meal, Menhaden fish meal, potato meal, potato starch, whitefish meal, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dehydrated alfalfa, dried beet pulp (!), pumpkin, carrots, apples, tomatoes, peas, cranberries, spinach, blueberries, raspberries, pomegranate, natural flavour, olive oil (preserved with tocopherals), flaxseed, garlic, salmon oil (source of DHA), dried kelp, chicory root, etc....

The grain free formula is very new though and you may have trouble finding it. You may have to ask for it.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 1, '13 8:04pm PST 
There's a review of Actr1um here - http://www.petfoodratings.org/dry-dog-food/actr1um-actrium-holistic/

They're concerned about the amount of dicalcium phosphate in some varieties of this food, but otherwise it looks pretty good. It's hard to find information on it.
[notify]