GO!

Grain-inclusive dog food and yeast infections in ears

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Wed Jan 26, '11 12:45pm PST 
I feed my guys Wellness Super-5-Mix Chicken and sometimes rotate with other flavors of Wellness as Shadow is allergic to eggs and that's about the only brand besides TOTW that doesn't have eggs in it around here. I had to take him to the vet today as he has bad yeast infections in both ears. I just lost a golden in March that had chronic ear infections and I hope I don't have to go down that road again with Shadow. I know Wellness only has 2 forms of grain in their food but I'm wondering if anyone has had any issues with yeast infections in ears and a grain-inclusive food?
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Wed Jan 26, '11 1:02pm PST 
If you like the wellness brand You should switch to wellness core, which is grain free. Dogswell Nutrisca is a new line by dogswell that uses chickpeas instead of grains, potatoes, or even tapioca. Nutrisca is actually a low glycemc index food, so if your dogs have blood sugar problems, it's perfect for managing that. I mention it, because high blood sugar does cause lots of yeast problems. yeast lives on glucose, so if your dog has an excess amount of glucose in his blood, it will also be in his skin, creating an ideal breeding ground for yeasts, especially in the ears, mouth, between the toes, in the wrinkles, in the excretory orifices, and under the arms. Dogs don't even have to be diabetic to have trouble with blood sugar. Their bodies aren't meant to eat lots of high glycemic index foods.

If you are spendy you might go for freeze dried like zwipeak, or completely go for a raw diet. Some people have wonderful success

don't forget that treats can be a source as well.
I have heard of lots of dogs getting yeast infections from grain based food. Unfortunately, yeast is insidious. It's one of the most prevalent living things on earth. If he's a scrounger, he can even be getting it from *your* food.
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Barked: Wed Jan 26, '11 1:39pm PST 
I wish I could afford Wellness Core. It's just too expensive. This is his first health problem other than the egg allergy, and bronchitis and giardia when I first got him from the shelter in March. He doesn't have any other issues. I'm hoping this is just a one time thing. I was a big fan of Dogswell but I was told they do get some ingredients in China and that makes me somewhat nervous, that and it's not readily available where I am.

ETA: He only gets boiled chicken(only during obedience class) or high quality dog food for treats

Edited by author Wed Jan 26, '11 1:41pm PST

[notify]

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Wed Jan 26, '11 1:48pm PST 
their treats are outsourced, but their food is made in the USA
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dogswell-nutrisc a-dog-food/
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Wed Jan 26, '11 2:28pm PST 
Yeasty ears is one of those things that can build in the system, and then just start happening and never stop. And yes, there is a correlation between grains and yeasty ears (grains convert to sugar, sugar feeds yeast.) However, if you want to try something else cheaper before switching kibbles, maybe try adding a little apple cider vinegar to his diet.
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Barked: Wed Jan 26, '11 5:27pm PST 
Bam-Bam- I was adding ACV to his food a couple of months ago and then things got hectic and I just started forgetting it. I will definitely start putting that on his food again and hopefully he won't have anymore issues.
[notify]

Barked: Mon May 14, '12 4:48am PST 
I have two dogs, littermates, that have chronic yeast. Has anyone used a Candida natural treatment to rid the body of yeast. Prolonged antibiotics for a new girl that had bladder stones, is now shaking her ears.
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Barked: Mon May 14, '12 3:30pm PST 
What really helped Shadow was putting him on a grain-free limited ingredient diet(California Natural). He went through 2 months of treatment and nothing really helped until I switched his food.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 9:37pm PST 
I believe that candida is the least of vet understanding; so, I'm looking to find my own answers. Here's my theory. Yeast is everywhere in the atmosphere, and ears are designed to scoop up sounds, --and other things in the air. Noses are little vacuum cleaners of the yeast laden world. Short of putting a hat and dust mask on the pooch, there's just nothing you can do. But take heart, ears usually have eardrums as barriers and cilia to self clean, and the same for noses with sinuses and the sneezing reflex. But when it comes to food, "watch out for that grain!" we're all told. Trouble is, you can't feed your dog a half chicken a day, and the dog has to eat SOMETHING! So, consider how they make dog food. Grain and many other things are ground into a slurry of muck and "somewhat" heated to dry them into kibble. Is that the way you eat your rice or oatmeal or farina? No, you COOK it for 25 minutes with lots of water, until the starch molecule breaks down, --else you get gas from eating raw food. Well, the grain grew in a field chuk full of yeast spores that got right into the root systems and the very grain, so much so, that they are beneficial in the sprouting of the seed. Would it be too much to TRY COOKING for your furry friend? You shouldn't have to whip up a rice pilaf each day, but these manufacturers of low priority "dog" food are making food for a living being, and I contend that their profit motive is ahead of their health concerns. I just can't believe that Fido's kibble has ever seen the likes of 195 degrees for an extended period, (maybe 140ish for dessication)...so that the starch can break down enough to be "sterilized of the yeast spores. So, as it seems to me, we're not feeding grain, we're feeding live yeast spores right into the colon and blood. I'd appreciate any thoughtful input, and hopefully some from the kibble industry.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 10:04pm PST 
Dr. Ming Te Lin says "Rice good for all ting." Could it be, that this plant which evolved in a bog somehow became not affected by common yeasts? Still, you don't eat it RAW!

Edited by author Thu Apr 4, '13 10:24pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2