GO!

Good Quality, Low Cost Dog Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Annika

Lazy Butt

Barked: Mon Nov 29, '10 4:20am PST 
We are on a budget and I need a good food that isn't really expensive. I've been feeding Orijen, but it is WAY too expensive. I can no longer afford to feed it. If I could afford to feed it, I would. What food isn't really expensive, but still good quality?
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Nov 29, '10 5:28am PST 
If you would like to stay grain free, ToTW averages about $20 less than Orijen (for a 30lb bag).

For grain inclusive, Whole Earth Farms is still my favorite (35lb bag for under $40), or Chicken Soup.
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Mon Nov 29, '10 5:58am PST 
The best for your money (IMO) is Taste of the Wild. Grain-free, high(er) in protein like Orijen, without the crazy high price tag. I get it for $34 for a 30 lb bag which last my 3 about a month, but I've never seen it for more than $42 for a 30 lb bag. You could also look into Eartborn Holistics Primitive Naturals food, it's grain-free, higher in protein than TOTW (38%) and is actually a few dollars cheaper here than TOTW ($31 for a 30 lb bag) so maybe that's an option. Quincy did really well on it but it does have a LOT of calories per cup so I ended up feeding 3/4 of what I usually fed of any other grain-free food.
[notify]

Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Mon Nov 29, '10 6:05am PST 
If you have access to a Tractor Suppy Co., "4Life" is a decent grain-inclusive food. It's cheaper than the other foods already mentioned, but not as good a quality. I would attempt to fit the other brands into your budget first but if that doesn't work out this might be a consideration.
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Mon Nov 29, '10 11:02pm PST 
Be aware that the cheaper the dog food the less digestible it will be and the more they will eat. You will end up spending the same amount of money. Best to keep your pup on a good, high quality food if you can afford it.
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Wed Dec 1, '10 3:58pm PST 
Acana is cheaper and great!

And, also like other posters mentioned already TOTW is a wonderful food and reasonably priced.

Edited by author Wed Dec 1, '10 3:59pm PST

[notify]
My Lucky8

big packs rule!

Barked: Wed Dec 1, '10 4:08pm PST 
we feed TOTW and it isn't too expensive!!
[notify]
Jasper

an oodle of fun!

Barked: Wed Dec 1, '10 9:25pm PST 
Helloswave,

Jasper has been on Canidae for a few months now and it is great!

We pay $18.99-24.99 for the 15 pound varieties...Our average price per year spent on dog food will be $75 for the ALS (grain inclusive one). I have not noticed a difference in poop production, however Jasper is doing better on Canidae than he was on Wellness. TOTW would cost us $20 more a year to feed and Jasper did not seem to care for the taste.

Anyway, we are please with the price and the results. Plus, no reflux issues!
[notify]
Lacey

Mobile Kissing- Booth

Barked: Thu Dec 2, '10 1:44am PST 
If you have access to a Costco, I recommend Nature's Domain. It made by Diamond and is grain-free. I think the ingredients are similar to TOTW. A 35 lb bag is $32 for the Salmon Meal and $28 for the Turkey Meal.
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Thu Dec 2, '10 4:38am PST 
Other pretty good foods but do have grains are:

Diamond Naturals
Premium Edge
Avoderm
Chicken Soup

These are very affordable.

Edited by author Thu Dec 2, '10 4:38am PST

[notify]