GO!

Blue Buffalo vs. Nutro Ultra

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Wed Jul 14, '10 2:14am PST 
I've heard Nutro is taking steps to improve their product quality and hope they carry out their plans.

In the mean time, I'd definitely go with BB.
[notify]
DIESEL

Life is like a- bowl of Frosty- Paws!

Barked: Tue Sep 21, '10 4:57pm PST 
The Nutro website lists the ingredients of Nutro as having corn gluten meal,Some formula's have wheat,and menadione sodium bisulfate is in all the Nutro formula's.This is a harmful form of vitamin K. Also with their history I can't trust it.As Samson said I would'nt touch anything Nutro with a ten foot pole either! Illness,death,Nutro pet food Dog food analysis does not recommend Nutro either they are in the 2 star rating.They do recommend all the Blue Buffalo.Dog food analysis 2 star rating

Edited by author Tue Sep 21, '10 5:15pm PST

[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Tue Sep 21, '10 7:29pm PST 
I guess apparently one cannot expect two-month-old comments about one's dislike for a specific brand of food to remain unwashed, if that company happens to be paying HQ for advertising space.

Very sad. Although I did get a laugh out of the notice in my inbox.

Edited by author Tue Sep 21, '10 7:30pm PST

[notify]

Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Wed Sep 22, '10 9:26am PST 
In response to Zoie's post: Nutro Ultra isn't bad, not enough that I'd want dissuade someone from feeding it, but it's hardly great, either.

It is absolutely loaded with oils, far, far, far too many in my opinion. None of them are bad by themselves, but there is soybean oil (I don't really like to see this in any food, period), fish oil, sunflower oil, and that's after the inclusion of Chicken Fat (not bad by itself, but again, why so oily?) That's going to make any dog's coat shine, regardless of how healthy it is.

Chicken meal is the first ingredient (great!), but what follows are three rice ingredients. I'd rather see a few meat products moved up in front of the rice, especially as there are three of them. Even for a grain-inclusive food that seems kind of heavy to me.

Beet Pulp is another big no-no, as it can cause teeth problems. It's a sugary sweet substance, I expect to encourage a dog to eat regardless of taste, because I rarely see it in higher-quality foods. This food has enough fat and oils in it anyway to make it tasty without the inclusion of a product suspected to cause teeth problems.

Last on my list is the inclusion of synthetic Vitamin K, but my opinion on that is that I'll never feed a food with it, because it is not worth the risk, but neither is there anything to really indicate that long-term feeding of barely trace amounts of K3 cause any harm. I think it is likely more that the poor-quality foods that are inclusive of it (versus few if any high-quality foods) that are killing lifespan, not K3 on its own. It's more one of those things I use to convince people to switch, rather than something that sets of alarm bells in my head.

------

All that said, I really must applaud Nutro for moving forward and greatly improving their ingredient lists recently, in response to the polls here on Dogster a few months ago.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 10:29pm PST 
Has anyone else had a very bad experience with Nutro Ultra? My dog died from the food I am really sad. We live in New Jersey. I buried her in her favorite park
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 6:46am PST 
Blue Buffalo for sure! smile
[notify]
Tiara

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 5:53pm PST 
I am looking at a bag if ultra that I bought right now. There is no vitamin k listed in it at all.
[notify]
Tiara

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 6:02pm PST 
I am looking at a bag if ultra that I bought right now. There is no vitamin k listed in it at all.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 5:03am PST 
For me having Akitas and knowing it contains ANY soy is reason enough to choose something else.Knowing other Akita owners who fed Nutro on the advice of their vets and had issues ranging from mild diarrhea to rashes and hair loss from allergic reactions to the corn and wheat also common in Nutro formulas as well as other less than desirable ingredients,and knowing that there are better foods out there without those ingredients for around the same price,Blue Buffalo Wildreness being one of them,I will stick with the Blue Buffalo and would recommend it over Nutro any day.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 7:51am PST 
This thread was started almost 3 years ago. Ultra kibble doesn't have any soy or soybean oil, corn or wheat.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5