GO!

Blue Buffalo vs. Nutro Ultra

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Jenna

We Are The- Champions!

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 2:23pm PST 
Nutro used to be a pretty respected company. However, in recent years their food quality has gone down to include corn gluten meal in many of their formulas. They were affected by the big recall a few years back as well. There have been many reports of dogs fed nutro becoming sick, some even dying then when changed foods the problems went away. However, probably for me the biggest problem was they were bought out by Mars (same people that make Pedigree) not too long ago.

All foods are susceptible to recalls and not every dog is going to do well on even the best quality foods because of their individual biology. However, I do have more faith in Blue than many other companies.
[notify]
Seth

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 6:02pm PST 
I Know nutro is owned by mars, But i thought that Blue bufflo was made in a Diamond food plant. If i am not mistaken they have had many dog deaths over the years, and also many recalls.
[notify]
Michael

Question- everything and- everybody

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 6:44pm PST 
Blue Buffalo is NOT made by Diamond; it is made by CJ Foods.
[notify]

George

Mommy's Little- Velcro Dog

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 8:09pm PST 
Definitely got with Blue Buffalo over NUTRO, mom works as a vet assistant/pet groomer and she has seen dogs with nutritional deficiencies that were eating Nutro. If in doubt google "Nutro Recalls" or "Nutro Complaints" they are being investigated by the FDA for all the complaints of illnesses and deaths they have had...that's enough for mom to avoid it all together. Not to mention the Menadione in it.
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 10:51pm PST 
I went back on forums and found where people had said that blue was manufactured in a diamond plant. So which one is it. I googled cj foods and it said nothing about blue
[notify]
Zoie

45 Mile Per Hour- Couch Potato

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 11:48pm PST 
Whole Dog Journal, February, 2010 has a list of their Approved Dry Foods for 2010. They will not put a pet food on the list unless they have told them where they are manufactured.

According to WDJ,Blue Buffalo is made by
Chenango Valley Pet Foods, Sherburne, NY
CJ Foods, Bern, KS
Dad's Pet Care, Meadville, PA
Triple T Foods, Frontenac, KS

This list is for all their products, not just their original Lite Protection formulas.
[notify]
Moose

Good Dog, Moose.

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 3:27am PST 
If you are able, the BB Wilderness has an even higher amount of meat. My vet recommended it and I did lots of research as we made our choice for Moose. Dogfoodchat.com seemed to be a great resource as I was checking it all out. I honestly didn't realize the huge differences and deficiencies in some of the brands of dog food. Wilderness is pricey for sure, but 1 1/2 cup twice a day fills Moose up and he is 55 pounds. Sometimes he even leaves food in his bowl and goes back for it later. He is happy and very healthy, so I'm feeling confident in the choice we've made! I've found several coupons online, plus Petsmart is often running specials. We figure we can either spend a little more for high quality food or possibly spend money later in vet bills due to poor health caused by poor diet. It's a personal choice for sure and I wish you the best in making your decision.
[notify]
The Hounds- of- Bassetville- +3

Food? Where?!?

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 4:05pm PST 
Definitely go with Blue! Nutro has had LOTS of problems with sick pets!

clicky!
[notify]
Vladimir

Lady Killer

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 4:07pm PST 
I would go with Buffalo Blue as well. I've never seen Vladimir shine so much in my life! laugh out loud
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Sun Jun 20, '10 2:40am PST 
Smokey, thanks for the reference to Dog Food Advisor - that site seems to keept it's information fairly current! Some of the other "analysis" sites don't have current info or sometimes they don't include both products.

Nutro Ultra is not listed for comparison on Blue Buffalo web site where they compare Blue with other dog foods -
http://www.bluebuff.com/sample/true-blue-results.php

There is a listing that includes Ultra and Blue Buffalo on Nutro's page for dog food comparisons.
http://www.thenutrocompany.com/pet-food/ultra-dog-food -comparison.aspx

On some other dog food analysis sites the two products seem to be rated fairly comparably - they both made Whole Dog Journal's approved list for 2010, dogfoodanalysis.com rates them both as four star foods, http://www.petfoodratings.net/dogs.html rated Ultra, but did not rate Blue Buffalo (at least I couldn't find Blue Buffalo, just Blue Wilderness).

For 2010, Whole Dog Journal reported that "NOTE For 2010: Blue Buffalo is back on the list after agreeing to list who and where the food is made. " And later in the same report, under Blue Buffalo, WDJ reported that "NOTE: All foods made by: Chenago Valley Pet Foods, CJ Foods, Dad's Pet Care, Triple T Foods."
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5