GO!

Blue Buffalo vs. Nutro Ultra

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 10:36am PST 
I have a recently been thinking about switching dog foods for my 5 year old Siberian Husky/Labrador Retriever mix named Sasha. She is currently eating Purina Pro Plan. She came home eating Royal Canin, but I switched her to Pro Plan. I had found out how unhealthy Purina is for dogs so now I am going to switch. I have narrowed it down to two choice: Nutro Ultra for adults and Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Formula.

Here are the indgredients in the Nutro food:
Chicken Meal, Whole Brown Rice, Ground Rice, Rice Bran, Chicken, Lamb Meal, Salmon Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Flaxseed, Oatmeal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Egg Product, Tomato Pomace, Dried Pomegranate, Dried Blueberry, Dried Avocado, Dried Cranberry, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Spinach, Dried Carrot, Salt, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, L-Carnitine, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Biotin, Copper Proteinate, Niacin Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Sodium Selenite, Beta Carotene, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

And here are the indgredients in Blue Buffalo:
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Potato Starch, Turkey Meal, Peas, Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Potatoes, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Natural Chicken Flavor, Flaxseed (natural source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Alfalfa Meal, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Turmeric, Oil of Rosemary, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Salt, Caramel, Potassium Chloride, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, Enterococcus faecium.

Which do you think seems like a better quality food? I would like to choose one of these foods. I would appreciate your help. Thanks so much.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 10:43am PST 
I would go with BB for sure. Not only do the ingredients rival that of Nutro, BB is a much more trustworthy company that has not had any recalls. I cannot say the same for Nutro, as they have had several recalls and have proven to be a very untrustworthy company. Also, Nutro products use Menadione (synthetic vitamin K- which all better quality brands have removed from their formulas.)
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 10:44am PST 
Blue Buffalo, if not solely for the reason that Nutro uses Menadione, a synthetic K3 vitamin banned from general human use, in its food.
[notify]

Sierra

Sun Worshipper

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 10:45am PST 
BB no contest. Nutro isn't even a high quality food.

What made you narrow down to these two? Just curious, are you unable to get anything else? It's just odd to me that if you were narrowing down healthy dog foods that someone would even mention BB and Nutro in the same sentence.

I'd read this: http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/518898

Go od luck. way to go
[notify]
Peter Parker

Peace, Love &- Dachshunds

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 11:29am PST 
Hands down- BB!dog
[notify]
Cooper

Cooper aka The- Orange Guy

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 11:56am PST 
We just switched Cooper from Purina One to Blue Buffalo!!! It's sooo much betterblue dog He looves it!
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 12:30pm PST 
Blue Buffalo, hands down. I've used that formula in my rotations before, and Quincy did very well on it. Nutro is less than reputable. Good luck in your new holistic adventures big grin
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 1:23pm PST 
Thanks for all of the responses. I guess I'll go with BB-- I had no idea that Nutro was not healthy. I mean, I suspecting that it was a healthy food.. but I guess not! I'll go with BB. Thanks!!
[notify]
Smokey

Time for a nap

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 2:06pm PST 
Dog Food Advisor which is my favorite website for comparing foods rates them both "four stars".....
[notify]
Maxwell Smart

The dog park toy- thief!

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 2:12pm PST 
Good luck with the BB, it's the much better choice IMO smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5