GO!

EXCITING NEWS!! Nutrition First Premium OVERHAULED!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
cheech and- chong

Barked: Thu Oct 22, '09 9:37am PST 
Haven't posted here in ages, not on computer that much, but this was the first place I thought of after discovering this news today.

It only applies to Canadians (possible Atlantic only, as it is President's Choice). The Real Canadian SuperStore, (Loblaws) has completely remade their Presidents Choice Nutrition First Premium Dog (and Cat) food. The old label worded exactly as Nutrition 1st Premium is being sold off and discontinued. The new brand is renamed to Nutrition First Premium. The new formula has:

NO corn,
NO wheat,
No soy,
No by-products,
NO Artificial preservatives,
NO added colour,
No fillers,
No added sugar.

It does have:
High quality source of protein
wholesome grains (not cheap grains)
Prebiotics (fruit most likely)
Probiotics (fruit and vegetable most likely),
Omega 3 & 6
and Yucca Schidigera to help reduce fecal odour.

I don't have the exact ingredient listing yet as the sale starts tomorrow, but when I get a picture of the ingredient listing I will post it here for you to judge for yourself.

The price is amazing (assuming the food ends up as good as it claims in the public announcement) at the following pricing level:

13.5kg = $36.49cad
4.5 to 7kg = $18.99cad
2.6 - 3kg = $10.49cad

It comes in Puppy, Adult, Toy & Small Breed, Large Breed, and Weight Control, thus the different in weights listed above.

While talking to a Manager this morning I was told that the old stuff Nutrition 1st (not so good, uses corn and other things that the regular dog foods like Pedigree, Purina, Old Roy and so on use) is still being sold until the supplies are depleted so you have to make sure to look at the FIRST not the 1st, and Premium, so Nutrition First Premium. He said it will be confusing at first but there are customers that have to transition their dogs and cats so they had to allow at least 2 months for switch overs.

He also said that they (Loblaws/President's Choice) are confident that when people compare this new formula with those they are buying at pet food speciality stores, and compare pricing that many will opt to change over to Nutrition First Premium. If the line takes off as they expect they will be introducing new types of meat. Right now it is limited to Lamb and brown rice, and Chicken and brown rice.

Anyway I'll post a picture of the ingredients sometime tomorrow evening (going to the SuperStore on my way home from work tomorrow). If it is good as it claims I'll not be buying Acana Prairie Harvest anymore, at $67.82 (taxes in) a month. It is no grain period, but quality grain dog food has never hurt my other dogs, (large breeds all lived to 16 adn 17 years, above the average of 12yrs for large breed). Several dogs that we walk with are on quality grain based dog food and they don't look worse for wear either, but then again they too get lots of exercise. The only sickly looking dogs are those that don't get enough exercise and are on cheap grain food like purina and pedigree. Their owners usually look in poor health too...like owner like dog.

Post pic soon.
[notify]
cheech and- chong

Barked: Fri Oct 23, '09 4:14pm PST 
Got the ingredients, and also found out that this food will be available in the USA under some other large, nation wide groucery.

There are 4 catagories of food (Large Breed, Puppy, regular Adult, and Dietary). I only have the ingredient listing for Large Breed and regular Adult. Since I can't attach a picture here (or more likely cannot find the way to do it) I'm only writing the ingredients for regular Adult. That will take long enough:

Chicken & Brown Rice 30lb bag - $36.99 Canadian. Ingredients typed below in order of bag listing, and special notes included as on bag:

Chicken Meal
Chicken
Brown Rice
Oatmeal
Dehulled Barley
Chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols -source of vitamin E)
Natural chicken flavour,
Tomatoes,
Whole Dried Egg,
Herring Meal,
Flaxseed,
Salmon Oil (source of DHA)
Brewers Yeast,
Whole Sweet Potatoes,
Whole Carrots,
Whole blueberries,
Whole Cranberries,
Whole Apples,
Calcium Carbonate,
Potassium Chloride,
Dicalcium Phosphate,
Sodium Chloride,
Chicory Root,
Choline Chloride,
Vitamins & Chelated Minerals (vitamin A, Vitamin D3, vitamin E, Niacin, Vitamin C, Inositol, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Beta Carotene, Pyridoxine Microchloride,
Folic Acid, Vitamin K, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Suppliment, Zinc, Proteinate, Ferrous Sulphate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulphate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, sodium Selenite),
Probiotics
DL-Methionine,
Yucca Schogera,
Dried Rosemary.

For a 70pd dog they recommend 2cups to 2 1/3 cups a day.

The interesting thing is that Acana Prairie Harvest (lowest cost of the 2 no grain Acana line) has similar ingrediets with Chicken Meal and Brown Rice being the first 2 ingredients. The feeding chart recommends 2.5cups to 4 cups per day.

I bought a large bag, and gave the dogs a few pepples each. Both dogs loved it. The pepples are softer than Acana which is good for my youngest dog as he has soft teeth. He had no problem crunching these, but I have to wet the Acana pepples for him. I won't give them more until the transition starts. They've not had grain based foods for well over a year (if not 2) so I'm going to have to ease them into a grain based diet again.

Hope this helps someone.
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Fri Oct 23, '09 4:38pm PST 
Wow! That's great news. I do wonder what type of Vitamin K they're using but...wow!

PC bullysticks and now good PC kibble!
[notify]

cheech and- chong

Barked: Fri Oct 23, '09 7:07pm PST 
Vitamin K is written as Vitamin K, no "" around it, and no mention of supplement or substitute. As far as I recall if the manufacturer is using a substitute, synthetic, or artificial vitamin (not just for Vitamin K) they have to use one either "" around the name, like "Vitamin K" or add a word that clearly indicates it is not the pure Vitamin, in this case either K1, K2, or K3.

I'll call PC to see if they will find out more for me, but it really seems like they are on the up and up making a quality dog food at a fair price. They are admitting openly that their previous Nutrition 1st was not great, and are discontinuing it. That goes a long way with me.
[notify]
Chase

Barked: Mon Nov 2, '09 8:37pm PST 
Did you find out about the Vitamin K yet?
[notify]
cheech and- chong

Barked: Sat Apr 17, '10 8:12am PST 
Sorry, have not been around here for ages. I did find out, it is real vitamin K, no substitutes. My dogs have been on the new PC Nutrition First food for several months now and I see absolutely no difference in their eyes, stool, fur, or activity level from when I used Orijen and various Acana food. The biggest difference for me is approximately a $45 savings. I still add real vegetable and fruit to their diet as well a raw meat every so often, but I did this when I was buying the higher priced food too.

again sorry to the delay in reply. Also I found the PC people very helpful when I called asking questions about the food. Even when they were running out of it as it became more popular than they had expected they were quick to agree to my request to get the store manager where I shop to order more per week. Recently it is running out again though so more people must be buying it.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 8:28pm PST 
i am wondering where the PC nutrition first dog and cat foods are manufactured. if someone knows for sure, and not just assuming that would be appreciated
[notify]
Charlie

Turd Burglar

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 10:52pm PST 
This thread is a little old but you should shoot PC an email. They've always been good about answering my questions regarding this brand of food.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Aug 16, '13 8:01am PST 
I am hearing their brands are made in China.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 6, '13 5:32pm PST 
Any info on where its made??
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2