GO!

LIVE AND DEAD WORM FOUND IN WELLNESS DRY DOG FOOD

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Adlai

Let's Go!!!

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 10:41pm PST 
Yep, sounds like pantry moth larvae (a.k.a. "Birdseed moths.")

The main thing is to NOT leave the food in your house!!! (trust me-I have first hand experience with them) They can quickly invade all the dry goods in your cupboards. They are very common in Pet/Feed stores.

The Agway where I live actually sells traps to control them, and they have admitted they use them in the store. You should definately take it back, if you haven't already.

They are gross in dog food, but even grosser in your pancake mix!

eekeekeek
[notify]
Sakura (Chi Chi Baby)

Everyone Loves a- Chi Chi Baby

Barked: Tue Jan 13, '09 12:02am PST 
Ow. The caps lock. It always hurts my eyes.

But, anyway, finding worms in dog food is actually a common thing. It isn't bad for the dog, but it sure as heck is disgusting for us when we have to handle the food to feed them, right? This usually happens during shipping or if the store let the food sit out too long. Back when I fed commercial brands, I bought a bag of Iams cat food and found a BUNCH of worms and (what I think were) grain mites in the bag. I looked at the date and it was a month past shelf life. While I knew it wasn't bad for the cats, I tossed the food anyway because I was not going to handle it. So, I doubt it was Wellness' fault. It could've happened when they shipped the bag to the store or the store could've let the bag sit out too long. There's usually a date on dog food and cat food bags; that's the recommended shelflife; I'd recommend you check it before tossing the bag and if it's even two weeks past the shelf life, complain to the store. Not the company. If it's not, I'd assume it happened during shipping.

But, I'd recommend you stay on Kirklands. I tried the Rachal Ray food. It's overpriced junk and my dogs HATED it.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 2:58pm PST 
I have been feeding my dog wellness for a while now. I thought they were great. I bought a bag that was nothing but crumbs and they bought me a new bag. Tonight I find dead worms in her food. I checked with my vet and these can be serious. My dog has been having some problems with what appeared to be her back legs and now we wait blood work results. Do not feed this brand to your dogs nor do not feed them worms!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 3:18pm PST 
what kind of worms did your vet say they were?
[notify]
Aina- Aloysius de- LeMaitre

work hard, play- hard

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 8:20am PST 
Sounds like it is also time for a parasitic cleanse for the whole pack, four leggers and two leggers. Yuck!
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 11:21am PST 
Wow this is not good, I would think that the company should do something, or at least get back to you about this.
[notify]
Monnie

Spreading Smiles- As A Tribute For- Lexi

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 12:21pm PST 
WOW, This is scary. I switched to Wellness Core Grain Free Ocean Formula several months ago and haven't had a problem. Hopefully it was a storage problem from where you purchased it from.

My dogs wouldn't eat Rachel Rays food or treats!
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 2:34pm PST 
I never had issue with wellness core or core ocean.. I know about pantry moth larvae they're annoying.. >.<

I always check it and coarse keeps the bag till it's used up.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 3:47pm PST 
ewwww!!!!! That is just nasty!!! Not a nice thing to find in food you feed to your babies thats for sure!!!!!
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 5:48am PST 
guys this is 4 year old shrug not anything recent way to go someone dragged this up from pages and pages back in the forum
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3