GO!

is horse manure bad for dogs????

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
abbie

born to chew!!!

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '05 2:56am PST 
my BC pup likes to eat the horse poo. is it bad for her to eat it??
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '05 5:42am PST 
Not sure Abbie BUT I would be eating it to I am sure.
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '05 9:55am PST 
My mommie hates it when I try to touch ANY poo, because she's afraid that I might get worms. If that horse had parasites, a sure way to inheriting those parasites would be to ingest their poo.

I never skip my de-wormer medication, so it allows my mommie to relax a bit. However, she will still stop me from sniffing or licking any poo if she can.

A lot of sicknesses are also transmitted through poo. For example, an unvaccinated dog can get parvo if it eats the poo of another dog with parvo. It's also possible that the horses might carry an unknown disease that is inert in horses, but will become active when transmitted to a dog. For example, deer don't suffer from lyme disease when the infected ticks bite them. When the same tick bites an un-vaccinated human or a dog, they will get sick.

I think it's best to steer your dog away from horse manure. smile
[notify]

Cindy (at- the Rainbow- Bridge)

Bark with your- mouth full

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '05 11:03am PST 
We lived next to a horse farm when I was kid, and occasionally Cindy would go over there for some horse manure fun. We thought it was digusting, but she never got sick from it, she just smelled like manure. It's still not the kind of thing I would encourage (Obviously! :] ) but I don't think you need to panic if it happens every once in awhile, as long as your dog is on worm medication and is up to date on vaccines and whatnot. If it does happen, just watch your dog for a few days to make sure there are no signs of illness.
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '05 2:28pm PST 
I would not be too concerned about it. My parents own horses, and although the dogs have never been into eating manure (they prefer the horse hoof shavings when the farrier coms), they occasionally like to roll in it. There are very few illnesses that can be passed from hoofstock to other animals.

Worms would be one thing, but most horses should be on a wormer already, as well as have had vaccinations. So as long as you are up to date on your vacc, then I would not worry. Although it is a gross habit, so be sure not to let her lick your face after she's indulged herself. party
[notify]
Logan

Gentle Giant

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '05 5:17pm PST 
The bacteria that causes tetanus is commonly found in the soil that is contaminated by horse/cow manure. Horse manure also contains fly eggs and fungus like Pilobolus, Aspergillus, etc.

However, at the same time at the riding academy I used to work at, it would be difficult to find a dog that wouldn't eat horse poop. I never heard of any of the owners reporting any health problems. However, the academy I worked at mucked stalls twice a day and the barn had a concrete flooring so fungus/tetanus wasn't a problem. I wouldn't let your dog eat old, rotting pieces though. I would also keep puppies away from it because of their delicate digestive tract/immune system.

My friend had a puppy husky that had a digestive problem and loved to eat and roll in horse manure. The manure would exacerbate the problem (I mean like explosive diarrhea).

However, unless your dog has an unusual problem like the husky, or if it's really old manure, I wouldn't sweat it.
[notify]
abbie

born to chew!!!

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '05 1:34am PST 
thanks. i wont get too worried now.....
[notify]
Bertrum

Want to play?

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '05 2:10am PST 
Our mum has horses and I try to eat the horse manure, but mum tries to stop me. If your mum knows the horses haven't been wormed with a Ivermectin wormer recently there isn't a problem, but some collies have a defect in the blood-brain barrier and a small amount of blood leaks into the brain, not enough to cause any trouble normally, but when ivermectin is added to the bloodstream and this leaks into the brain causing the problem. Some people say that the manure doesn't have the ivermectin in, but it must pass out somewhere and our mum doesn't think it is worth risking it.
[notify]
Scooby

No more- autographs,- please!

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '05 5:36am PST 
If your horses are on parasite control as they should be, and your dogs as well, it shouldn't be much of a problem. None of the dogs I've encountered had a bad run-in with manure, and I've been working with horses for about 20 years now. I've had some dogs who treated frozen manure as tennis balls and loved having it tossed for them to catch. smile
[notify]
Little Bear

Live life to the- fullest with- love!

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '05 5:44am PST 
I had a Springer Spaniel growing up who had an iron clad stomach. She ate over $50.00 worth of Godiva Chocolates and didn't even heave from it. She would destroy garbage, eat Barbie stuff, and steal a lot of candy and human food. Nothing ever made her sick!! Until this one time...

Our house in Pennsylvania backed up to a really beautiful Amish farm. It was summertime and the farmer had just tilled the field. Well, unfortunately he'd just laid fresh manure down, too! My dog thought it would be tasty, so she ate quite a lot of it. Several hours later, we were snuggled up all cozy sleeping in bed.. and she barfed all over me and the bed! It was the most disgusting thing ever!!!!!

The manure was the ONE and ONLY thing that she ate that EVER made her sick.. so I would DEFINITELY try to avoid it at all costs. smile

Best wishes!
Little Bear's Mommy
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2