GO!

Puppy Food vs. All Life Stages Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Holly- Golightly

Who you callin'- a mutt?

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '07 3:39pm PST 
I'm currently feeding Holly Natural Balance Duck and Potato. It's labeled as a dog and puppy food. I told my vet today that I was feeding my adult dog and puppy the same thing and she said that there were studies done that said that this was bad. She said that puppies needed more protein than adult dogs and therefore the puppy formula was there for a reason. Someone once said on Dogster that a food that was formulated for dogs and puppies was a good thing, but I don't remember the reasoning behind it.

Opinions? Comments? HELP?!
[notify]
Penny

Rattweiler

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '07 5:03pm PST 
I personally think all life stages foods are great. My vet thinks all life stages foods are terrible as well, but for the opposite reasons. She says all life stages foods are formulated for a puppy's needs and are therefore too rich for adult dogs. I just don't trust vets these days. One says one thing, another one says the complete opposite. I say go with what YOU think is best for your pup. Anyway, I wouldn't personally feed a puppy NB Duck & Potato. Is there a reason you're feeding that formula? It is a bit low in protein for my liking, even for an adult. I think the Ultra Premium formula would be your best bet. wishes

Edited by author Wed Mar 28, '07 5:04pm PST

[notify]
Fox Island Jace

BONZI!!!!!

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '07 5:16pm PST 
Noting against your vet, but most vets no very little about nutrition.
The food you are feeding is excellent and I would keep your pup on it. I have been feeding Jace Solid Gold Wee Bits and canned Canidea since he was 10 weeks old and he is doing great.
[notify]

Holly- Golightly

Who you callin'- a mutt?

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '07 5:23pm PST 
Peanut chews on his paws and I felt like it was because of allergies(it was probably because I was feeding him a lower grade kibble). I had a sample of the Duck and Potato and Peanut really liked it, so I went from there. I'll probably get Holly a higher-protein puppy food knowing this. A brand that i could possibly roatate in after this bag? Is that a better idea?

Unfortunately I live in a doggie-unfriendly city. The only slightly higher grade food they sell here is Nutro, and I don't want to support anything that uses Menu. So I have to drive an hour to get dog food(which sucks...alot). There is a PetCo an hour one way, and a PetSmart an hour the other and various feed stores as well. I was looking at Blue Buffalo's puppy formula as well as Solid Gold and Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul. I stay away from any dog food with lamb in it(personal thing...I don't eat baby animals, so my animals don't either...)
[notify]
Rocky (In- Loving- Memory)

Rocky aka rocket- dog

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '07 5:40pm PST 
Our vets are fine with it. In fact, she gave us specific orders to feed adult food to our puppies. She said it's better for the large, slow growing breeds.

Either way is fine. You're SO CUTE!
[notify]
Holly- Golightly

Who you callin'- a mutt?

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '07 5:58pm PST 
Thanks Rocky! Your a fine lookin' pup yourself! smile
[notify]
Wyatt

RATS, give me- RATS!

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '07 6:01pm PST 
I would stay with a one protein food for the allergy issue. If you have petco, I would seriously try the Natural Balance Duck and Potato or the Vennison.
Both of these foods are all stages foods, they are fine for puppies, i would NEVER feed my puppy puppy food, they are to rich and cause them to grow to fast, possibly causing developemental issues.
[notify]
Delta

I love water!!

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '07 6:40pm PST 
The thing is all life stages food is awesome. The only difference between, puppy, adult and senior food is the protein and fat content really. A lot of people will start their puppies off on adult food which is fine. The thing is even if a food is completely and nutritionally balanced, it doesn't mean that your dog is getting all the nutrition he/she needs. I like to use vitamins to add to my dogs food because I feel she is getting everything she needs. If your dog is really active you could stay on the puppy food with the high protein content for more energy. I have been reading at a lot about nutrition for dogs and I find that a lot of vets don't know about nutrition so I have to depend on my own knowledge for it.
[notify]
Holly- Golightly

Who you callin'- a mutt?

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '07 7:13pm PST 
Wyatt-I am feeding them both the Duck and Potato currently.

Delta-Holly is not currently eating a puppy food. Should I give her a vitamin? If so what and where do I get it? Or is the Natural Balance fine.

I'm all sorts of confused. I thought I was doing so well and then my vet decided to bring on the doubts!
[notify]
Delta

I love water!!

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '07 8:16pm PST 
Holly, you know your dog better than anyone else, if she is doing great on the food that you are feeding then I would stick with it. I give delta vitamins because she has a long coat and I buy vitamins to keep her coat beautiful and since she had pyoderma as a puppy I keep her on vitamins for that. Delta also doesn't eat the right amount of food daily, she eats less than she should which is okay because she's not fat or skinny, but I give her vitamins to make up for any loss of nutrients she may have.
I buy my vitamins from www.drsfostersmith.com they also have informaton on vitamins as well.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2