GO!

TLC dog food...

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Hooch

Beautiful Bully- Boy

Barked: Sat Jan 6, '07 7:00pm PST 
We have to switch our dogs food... We're currently feeding them IAMS large breed and its just not doing it for the boys...

They love the taste and they're always excited about meal time but we're up to feeding them 5 cups a day and they still are having trouble gaining weight. They fart all the time and each one clears the room or makes you gag if you stay. They poop 3 -4 times a day. A friend of ours recommended TLC dog food and I'm wondering if anyone has heard of it, or feeds it themselves.

It's between TLC and Canidae... some pro's and con's would be appreciated

Thanks
[notify]
Evening

pet me, pet me,- pet me!!!!!

Barked: Sat Jan 6, '07 7:21pm PST 
I would pick Canidae over TLC for these three reasons:
-Canidae is Corn, Soy, and Wheat Free...TLC has Corn Gluten Meal and Wheat in it.
-Canidae has precise ingredients(Turkey meal, Chicken meal, Lamb meal, Herring meal)...TLC uses Poultry Meal and Poultry Fat, both are ambiguous ingredients (what is Poultry? Chicken, Turkey, Duck, or Seagull?)
-TLC uses synthetic vitamin K (Menadione Sodium Bisulphite Complex) which the FDA has banned for human consumption. Canidae uses natural sources of vitamin K
[notify]
♥Mila- ♥

Pretty girl

Barked: Sat Jan 6, '07 7:23pm PST 
look into solid gold, they have a bulk up diet called MMillenia made with beef. that might work for you to gain a little weight.
[notify]

Emma

Goofy Old Goat

Barked: Sat Jan 6, '07 9:39pm PST 
I would first suggest a higher quality food such as Natural Balance, Canidae, Solid Cold, Innova, California Natural, Wysong, Flint River Ranch, etc...

Try the new food for several weeks and if there is still gastrointestinal issues you could have things like allergies, unbalanced intestinal flora, etc...

You can test for food allergies by using the elimination diet protocol which is 12 weeks feeding one novel protein and one novel carbohydrate he has never had before. The introducing one new food at time waiting 1-2 weeks between each new addition. If you see reactions such as gas, itchy skin, redness, etc.. you can count that ingredient as an allergy and then eliminate it from the diet.

Supplements like probiotics, enzymes, and green food/phyto nutrients can help with digestion.
[notify]
Hooch

Beautiful Bully- Boy

Barked: Sat Jan 6, '07 11:47pm PST 
Thanks for the suggestions guys!!! I was leaning towards Canidae anyways...
[notify]
Beatrix- Kiddo

Yard? What- yard?....

Barked: Sun Jan 7, '07 4:41am PST 
Mom recently switched me over to Canidae and she noticed my poops are better and my coat is nicer. I also had red eyes and was sneezing more, now that is gone too. I had been on Beneful before but the Dogsters set her straight.

We also have some good news in the pet store department, they just opened a new store called Pabby's and they sell the Canidae and the store is close. The big name pet stores do not sell the good stuff.
[notify]
NATURESWAY- ABBEY

Drama Queen

Barked: Sat Jan 31, '09 9:37am PST 
My dog Abbey loves TLC dog food and loves the biscuits, In my opinion TLC, is the best all natural dog food for my dog, and I know alot of people highly recommend it. big grin
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 6:56am PST 
I just came across this old post from 2007 that a client notified us (TLC Whole Life Petfoods) about.

Our old formulation did contain corn gluten meal, wheat and poultry meal. We got rid of corn gluten meal, wheat and replaced the poultry meal with Chicken meal when we updated our TLC Whole Life dog food formulation in 2008.

This old post is referring to our old formulation prior to 2008. TLC Petfoods is committed to using the best available ingredients in order to provide our pets top quality pet foods with all the proper vitamins and minerals to support the nutritional requirements of puppies/kittens right through to their senior years.

Please see the following link for our latest TLC dog food formulation: http://www.tlcpetfood.com/dogfood/

Brendan Graham
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 1:37pm PST 
Thank you Mr. Graham. You might want to notify dogfoodadvisor.com and dogfoodanalysis.com about TLC. A lot of dog owners use those sites to compare brands.

I like your ingredients listing. Okay on the protein, low on the carbs. Nice.
[notify]