GO!

Purina Frosty Paws Ice Cream

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Hailey

hey, hey, wanna- play?

Barked: Thu Feb 16, '06 5:15pm PST 
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Purina Frosty Paws ice cream for dogs? My mother-in-law bought some for my sweet Hailey, and she absolutely LOVES it (even ignores a cat when she's eating it!!) But I just wanted to make sure that it's okay for her to have anyway. The package lists all the good nutrients in it, and it's made by Purina, but I somehow feel weird about giving her "ice cream." I'd love to know what other pup owners think about this...
[notify]
Sir Maximus

Mama's Boy!

Barked: Thu Feb 16, '06 5:19pm PST 
I've never heard anything bad about Frosty Paws as long as they aren't eating it a lot of course. I think it's like treats for humans...they are ok as long as you balance them with healthy food too which of course you are doing.

You might be interested in this. I have a recipe for a treat similar to Frosty Paws which you can make at home:

Icy Paws (Frosty Paws)

2 (32 oz) Containers Of Plain Or Vanilla Yogurt
1 Small (8 oz) Can Of Tuna
2 tsp Garlic Powder
24 (3 oz) Plastic Cups (NOT PAPER!)

Mix all ingredients together, scoop into plastic cups. Place on tray and freeze overnight.
Variations :
** Natural Flea Prevention - Mix in garlic powder, brewers yeast and fennel seed.
** Veggie Delight - Mix in cooked peas and other vegetables.
** Chicken - Used canned chicken instead of canned tuna.
** Potassium Boost - Add in mashed bananas.
[notify]
Hailey

hey, hey, wanna- play?

Barked: Thu Feb 16, '06 5:36pm PST 
what a great recipe, thanks!
[notify]

Jase

Barked: Thu Feb 16, '06 11:08pm PST 
It's complete crap:

Water, dried whey, soy flour, animal fat (preserved with BHA and BHT) dry whey product, dried whey protein concentrate, vegetable fat, soy lecithin, microcrystalline cellulose, mono and diglycerides, carboxmethyl-cellulose, polysorbate 80, polysorbate 60, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, magnesium oxide, silicon dioxide, vitamin a supplement, vitamin e supplement, niacin supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, potassium iodine, thiamine monoitrate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid

Why feed something when you can't even pronounce half the ingredeints?

Just spending .85 on a small container of plain, organic yogurt is much healthier. They'll eat it frozen or not.
[notify]
Takiah

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '06 5:09am PST 
Ya, those ingredients don`t look too great....but feeding it the odd time for a snack likely won`t do any harm, so I wouldn`t worry or anything.

The homemade recipes are great though, and a lot cheaper, so I think those are always the best!!
[notify]
Takiah

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '06 5:10am PST 
BTW, I sometimes just freeze plain yogurt in icecube trays as a treat. You can just pop one out, and feed it. Yogurt is a really healthy snack (if your dog is not dairy intolerant) because it has a lot of probiotics, and calcium among other things.
[notify]
Diesel

if i want it,- it's mine

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '06 12:09pm PST 
plain organic fat free yogurt and a little organic honey make good alternatives too. just freeze and serve like all the others
[notify]
Jake Logan

Livin' a big- life!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '06 4:18pm PST 
Thanks everyone! I think I will make this up and freeze it in Jake's Kongs!
[notify]
Hailey

hey, hey, wanna- play?

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '06 4:53pm PST 
Thanks so much for all of your input...I will definitely give her plain yogurt and see how that goes...not only does it sound a lot healthier, but I'm sure it's WAAAY cheaper...Thanks dogster crowd, you are the BEST! Hailey gives you all a big kiss! smile
[notify]
Penny

Rattweiler

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '06 7:41pm PST 
QOUTE " It's complete crap:

Water, dried whey, soy flour, animal fat (preserved with BHA and BHT) dry whey product, dried whey protein concentrate, vegetable fat, soy lecithin, microcrystalline cellulose, mono and diglycerides, carboxmethyl-cellulose, polysorbate 80, polysorbate 60, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, magnesium oxide, silicon dioxide, vitamin a supplement, vitamin e supplement, niacin supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, potassium iodine, thiamine monoitrate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid

Why feed something when you can't even pronounce half the ingredeints?

Just spending .85 on a small container of plain, organic yogurt is much healthier. They'll eat it frozen or not." QUOTE

Eeeww! I agree. BHA and BHT are dangerous synthetic preservatives, linked to cancer and liver problems. Secondly, what animal did that fat come from? Human, gorilla, pigeon, fox, frog, what? It could be any animal under the sun, including road kill or something scrapped off the slaugther house floor. Third, it's pumped full of junk like soy, whey and stuff I've never even heard of. Fillers, fillers, fillers. Fourth, anything made by Purina or any other grocery store brand is crap.

I agree, plain low fat yogurt would be a terrific treat and WAY WAY more healthier! ; ) Penny also likes frozen chicken stock. But, it's a bit messy. BOL Good luck and kisses to Hailey!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3