GO!

a few questions for a new owner

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Tucker

I would very- much like the- ball.

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 9:30am PST 
i hope anyone sees this post! lol!

i adopted a 1 year old Flat Coat from the shelter last month. He was micro chipped and everything from a breeder. im not sure how he ended up at the pound but the previous owners said they did not want him anymore. ( i think because he is very high energy and a chewer)

I walk him daily, but i think he needs more mental stimulation. Id like to train him to get dummys. My only problem is his recall is less than steller. I dont have a fenced in yard. Any tips? also, where can you even buy hunting supplys?

my other question for you Flattie owners, is do you find it hard to keep weight on? we do a high performance feed and some oil on the top (he wont eat it otherwise) hes only a year old, if that and hes really long and skinny. you can tell he isnt filling out his frame. hes only about 50 lb but you can feel his spine. ive taken him to the vet and hes healthy with no worms. i feed 3 cups per day. ive tried giving him more but he wont eat it.
[notify]
Paige

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 9:17am PST 
Wonderful that you adopted a flatty smile i love the breed. and i can tell from your post that you have found out they canbe a handful. this is becasue they are avery slow maturing breed and some flatcoats i know dont even begin to settle until they are 5 or even 6years old. my paige is 2 now and she has begun to settle which is great for me.

I think what you are describing is gundog training. you can look it up on internet and its basically retrieving a dummy within sounds and mainly a whislte. try looking NEFRA or 'Flatcaoted retriever Society' they do alot with this sort of training. You can buy all sort of equitment from the NEFRA website including dummies, whisltes etc.

Som Flatcoats that i have look after have struggled to keep weight on. it can be a stress thing. if your flatty pants alot this could be stress or anixietywhich is making your dog not keep the weight on. i feed my dog on raw meats. 'Natural Instints' this is a great way of making them eatbecasue it is very tatsy for them adn they love it and keeping weight on. try upping your food that yougive, see if that helps. try keeping your dog calm, becasue if its stress your fighting a battle that you are not going to win as simple thingswithin your own house hold can stress your dog. try giving yumega oilsas thishelps their coat and will make their food tatste better. i had an eating problem with paige but now she likes her raw meat.

my other question for you Flattie owners, is do you find it hard to keep weight on? we do a high performance feed and some oil on the top (he wont eat it otherwise) hes only a year old, if that and hes really long and skinny. you can tell he isnt filling out his frame. hes only about 50 lb but you can feel his spine. ive taken him to the vet and hes healthy with no worms. i feed 3 cups per day. ive tried giving him more but he wont eat it.

Let meknow if any ofthis helps you
[notify]