GO!

Training

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Piper

mud? lemme at- it.

Barked: Sat Oct 31, '09 5:34pm PST 
Hi all,

I got my first dog, a one year-old female, about two months ago. She is so headstrong and STUBBORN! smile
I'm wondering if you have any training advice for me. Specifically about leashes. My vet told me that field dogs, even very well-trained field dogs, are not off-leash dogs because if they are on something's trail, they won't respond to you or come back. Piper just can't focus on a leash long enough to even respond to being reinforced with treats.

Any advice you have would be appreciated! Thanks.
[notify]
Dusty

Dusty Wusty

Barked: Thu Dec 17, '09 9:33pm PST 
This may seem harsh, but I got this advice from my dog trainer, what about using a remote shock collar? When I take my dog out I put on his collar and he actually gets excited because he knows he's going to woods. If he gets stuck on a scent, one zap and my whistle brings him back to me.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 11:30am PST 
My setter is now 5 years old and I am glad I spent about a year, when she was one, going to a good trainer (it was worth the money) and now we can go anywhere. I go hiking in the woods and she is free to run -- I think she absolutely lives to run. She tears off and comes back within 5 -10 minutes. The trainer had us do lots of basic on leash training, always with rewards, like sit/stay with me dropping the leash and going out of sight, etc. I also did a short agility course with her -- she did what she was asked to do, but basically wasn't interested.

I don't hunt so she's not trained for that but she would be great at it. If I were you I'd find a trainer. Joan
[notify]