GO!

Questions before getting an English cocker spaniel

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
William T- Riker

Barked: Tue Nov 25, '08 8:40pm PST 
Sorry to post out of character (dog) but presently I have no other option.

When I was younger and lived with my folks I had an English cocker spaniel (Hunter, 1990 - 2001) and he was an amazing dog. Now that I have my own place I'm interested in getting another English cocker spaniel as I know how personable and loving the breed can be.

Currently I live by myself in a 650 square foot apartment, ground floor with common area grass outside my back door and a large array of parks/walking paths immediately nearby.

A few questions I was wondering if site users might be able to answer:

1. My job requires that I am out of the house from 07:30 to 17:30. I was planning on scheduling 2-3 weeks off when I first get the puppy to give him my absolute attention and then the following 2-3 weeks have a family member come to check on him at lunch time. When I was younger I recall leaving Hunter in a 2x5x3 kennel when I was at school and coming home to him barking/howling out of loneliness. When the dog is older is 10 hours too long to leave him by himself?

2. I was never the one to groom Hunter when I was younger and while I am tidy my housekeeper is the one to thank for my place actually being clean. Is bathing/brushing once every two weeks adequate? Is shedding a significant issue with English cocker spaniels?

3. Would a 20 minute walk in the morning, an hour in the evening and then weekends together be adequate exercise? Hunter was extremely docile and never became really worked up unless someone got him excited. Is this reasonable behaviour to expect?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
[notify]
Harvey

Sniffer Dog

Barked: Thu Nov 27, '08 8:49am PST 
Hi.
Harvey is an English cocker spaniel and they are lovely dogs. Me personally only grooms Harvey when necessary or when he needs it. Harvey gets 1/2 hour in the morning and eveing everyday and a good run at the weekend and he's fit and healthy with it.
Harvey gets left up to 6 hours occassionly, and has no problems with it, he just sleeps most of the time !. Hope this helps you !

Hope this has answered some of your questions!
Kisses and Slobbers
Harvey xx

Edited by author Thu Nov 27, '08 8:52am PST

[notify]
William T- Riker

Barked: Thu Nov 27, '08 8:57pm PST 
thanks for the reply! if anyone has more to add please feel free.
[notify]

Theo

I like to shake- it

Barked: Tue Dec 9, '08 8:45pm PST 
Personally I think 10 hours is too long to leave any dog alone! Especially an English cocker, since they tend to be very attached to their owner and often suffer serious separation anxiety. Google "separation anxiety" and see if you are prepared to deal with the likely behavior of your pet.
If you really cannot get home each day to let him out at lunch, consider day care. If this is out too (it can add up $), then maybe it's not the right time to consider a dog.
Put yourself in his paws.... would you like to be stranded all day long, get an hour's walk in the evening and repeat endlessly?
[notify]
Theo

I like to shake- it

Barked: Tue Dec 9, '08 8:46pm PST 
Also, 2 weekly brushing would be fine smile
[notify]
GRACIE

Gracie the- Goose,goose- dog,nose dog

Barked: Mon Dec 29, '08 1:51pm PST 
A few questions I was wondering if site users might be able to answer:

1. My job requires that I am out of the house from 07:30 to 17:30. I was planning on scheduling 2-3 weeks off when I first get the puppy to give him my absolute attention and then the following 2-3 weeks have a family member come to check on him at lunch time. When I was younger I recall leaving Hunter in a 2x5x3 kennel when I was at school and coming home to him barking/howling out of loneliness. When the dog is older is 10 hours too long to leave him by himself?

ANSWER: ten hours is a long time but if you take steps to keep your dog from developing separation anxiety and give him some good interactive toys ,he should be ok. I WOUD get a dog walker or someone to come once during the day .Please don't crate him that long.That's no life. (No objection to crating or using an ex-pen or baby-gating him into an area while he is being house-broken and crating is o/w fine,just don't put him in "jail".
You might want to consider a rescue dog that is already houesbroken and used to being alone..or perhaps get a cat or another compatible dog to keep him company. Also doggy day care even a couple of times a week can break the monotony.
English cockers are not loners,They love to be with their people.

If you get a puppy, he/she will need a lot more of your time to get adequately socialized and trained.

2. I was never the one to groom Hunter when I was younger and while I am tidy my housekeeper is the one to thank for my place actually being clean. Is bathing/brushing once every two weeks adequate? Is shedding a significant issue with English cocker spaniels?

ANSWER: Engies do shed and mat if not kept groomed..you can keep your "Engie" shaved down if you wish and then just keep up on ear care and keep feet well trimmed. You can use a "snood" to cover his ears when he eats and also use a spaniel bowl which is tapered so ears fall outside . Some dogs have easier care coats than others. Red English cockers and "field-bred" English cockers usually have less coat. Blacks have the most coat. Bathing need only be done when the dog is dirty and there are shampoos that don't require water and other wipes for touch-ups. You will also have to keep nails trimmed and need to get them used to that early.

3. Would a 20 minute walk in the morning, an hour in the evening and then weekends together be adequate exercise? Hunter was extremely docile and never became really worked up unless someone got him excited. Is this reasonable behaviour to expect?

ANSWER: That should be enough but all dogs are different (the longer walk might be better itn he morning so he'll sleep more,but..some dogs may require more exercise. Don't forget that mental exercise is as effective as physical ito preventing boredom. A puppy will not be able to go that long between walks however. Again,consider a dog that's 2 or older.

Altho GRACE is the dog on my profile, I am the chairperson for the English Cocker Spaniel Club of America rescue program. If you have any further questions,you may email me at ecresqr at comcast.net
Also see our webpage at www.ecsca.org/rescuehome.html
We have many wonderful dogs in rescue and also can refer you to good breeders,some of who have older dogs that need homes as well.

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by author Mon Dec 29, '08 1:52pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Mon Mar 2, '09 3:22pm PST 
I personally would choose a different breed of dog if I was going to be out of the house all day. Some dog breeds act more like cats (ie they are independent natured) and these types of breeds would be a better choice. Certain breeds include the Shiba Inu, the Chow Chow, and the Rhodesian Ridgeback. Daucshunds can also do fine on their own although that depends on the daucshund. Please don't get a cocker with this kind of lifestyle! You will not have a good expierience and both you and the dog will end up frustrated.
[notify]
ginger bear

MR TAIL WAGGER!

Barked: Sun Jul 19, '09 11:13am PST 
WELL I HAVE TWO ENGLISH COCKER SPANIELS AND I WALK HIM AS MUCH AS I CAN AND HE DO JUST FIND! I GO TO SKL SO SEEING THAT ITS HOLIDAY TIME I GET TO SPEND TIME WITH HIM! WELL TO ME SOME DOGS REACT DIFFERENT TOWARDS THEIR OWNERS SOME ARE WAY TO DEDICATED TO THEIR OWNERS SO THEY GET SEPERATION ANXIETY! YES MY DOG SHEDS ALOT I THINK ITS AN ISSUE WITH COCKERS! HOPE THIS HELP! smile
[notify]
ginger bear

MR TAIL WAGGER!

Barked: Sun Jul 19, '09 11:13am PST 
WELL I HAVE TWO ENGLISH COCKER SPANIELS AND I WALK HIM AS MUCH AS I CAN AND HE DO JUST FIND! I GO TO SKL SO SEEING THAT ITS HOLIDAY TIME I GET TO SPEND TIME WITH HIM! WELL TO ME SOME DOGS REACT DIFFERENT TOWARDS THEIR OWNERS SOME ARE WAY TO DEDICATED TO THEIR OWNERS SO THEY GET SEPERATION ANXIETY! YES MY DOG SHEDS ALOT I THINK ITS AN ISSUE WITH COCKERS! HOPE THIS HELP! smile
[notify]
Euri

Barked: Tue Sep 8, '09 8:40am PST 
Every dog is different but from what I've been told, read and experienced myself, an ECS should not be left for more than four hours at a time. They are a very needy breed that has to be with their family/pack. They are best suited for those who are retired or work from home.

They need two active walks a day and have to be groomed (e.g. brushed, ears cleaned) daily to prevent matting and to get the burrs out of the fur. They are a very high maintenance breed and hence the reason they are not very popular in the US. That's a good thing though because we don't want them to be neglected, inbred and have personality or health problems like American cockers did years ago.

If you don't have the time to care for a high maintenance breed right now, then perhaps now is not the time to get a dog or at least this breed. You have to think about what is best for the dog, not you. We waited 8 years to be able to adopt an ECS because before then we didn't have the time, money or energy nor did we have a house with a yard. This is a special breed and they need owners who will treat them the way they deserve to be treated.

Doggy daycare might be an option if you can afford it daily, or perhaps you know of a friend, family member or neighbor that is home during the day that can watch the dog?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2